1 week in Pri, move to corny/secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
Ive got a batch of Irish Red thats been in primary for 8 days now. I have heard of the 123 rule and well, its been more than a week, Ive been debating going to secondary now.

So here's my issue. I am traveling with my brew soon. 2 weeks from today, the 27th I will be making a 500+ mile drive with my beer. It will be in a corny when I am moving it. So do I put it in a corny now, let it be in there for a secondary and put it in another corny (I have 2) and travel with that and let it sit for 3 weeks once I arive and serve. OR what I was thinking is put it in a corny now (or in a week) and let it set, travel with it which will stir some sediment up Im sure, and let it set for 2 or 3 weeks after I am at school and drink it then. I guess Im mostly torn on letting it sit in the primary a while longer and then kegging it or secondary and then kegging it.

Anyone been in a similar situation or have some light to shed on secondarying/just kegging it.

Here is a pic of my 8 day old fermentation, the airlock has stopped bubbling but the krausen has yet to disapear (it was only about 2x that size when it was most active)

IMG_0238.jpg

I have quit using secondaries personally, especially after I started kegging. I let them sit 3 weeks and then to keg. I would be a bit more patient and let it sit for another week or so.

I have a Red sitting in primary now and it's been there for almost 2 weeks (this saturday) and the krausen has dissapeared almost completely. I still get a little activity in the airlock but as I've read, thats no indication.

I'm gonna say wait a little longer and let that stuff settle to the bottom as well even if you have to move it.

Well, you make NO mention of what the gravity is at. So we have no way of knowing if the beer is even done fermenting.

Until you can answer that with a definitive "yes"...don't move it.

Back