Subbed out yeast - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanita

Reaction score
Hey there, long (long) time lurker here. I've been brewing on and off for years but not very much due do moving frequently so still in the noob category.

I picked up a Munton's Belgian Style Ale kit on a whim and decided to brew it up, but after reading some reviews it sounded like the saison yeast it comes with wouldn't really be my kind of thing. I was on the way to my new LHBS at the time to pick up some equipment to replace stuff that had been lost in the most recent move, and when I got there I looked over their yeast selection, panicked a bit, and grabbed a pack of Mangrove Jack's Belgian Wit (M21).

I brewed it up according to the directions and got a SG of 1054. The following day it was 1044 and today (one week later) it's 1020. The problem is that it's meant to be below 1014 after 5 days, at which point I'm meant to move to a new vessel and put in 500g of Spraymalt Light.

I have two hypotheses; either the Belgian Wit won't be up to the job, or the temperature is too low (18 C, which is at the low end of its range) and it will get there if I leave it a bit longer.

I'm not sure what to do next - should I leave it where it is and continue with the instructions once it gets to 1014, or should I figure it will never be able to manage it and forget about the additional malt altogether?

Not familiar with the recipe but the slow fermentation could be mostly due the cool temperature of the fermenting beer not the yeast. This is a moderate OG beer that would not have the high alcohol content to cause the yeast to quit before the fermentation finished. I would begin to slowly raise the temperature to 21°C over the next few days.

Time lines given in recipes can be used as a guide but the real guide should be what the yeast is doing. Since the fermentation may be slower due to temperature the time line given in the recipe isn't valid any more.

I suppose racking to a secondary vessel is to remove the beer from the trub to prevent off flavors. Adding the extra fermentables is meant to start a new fermentation to protect the beer from oxidation with the production of CO2. (Just guessing.) There is a risk that there will not be enough yeast in the secondary to start a new healthy fermentation.

I suggest adding the DME to the primary in a 20° solution as you begin raising the temperature. Have no idea what flavors this yeast will produce at 25°, the top of the yeasts the temperature range so I would just take it midway for the first use.

edit: The description for the yeast is that it will drop out to leave a clear beer given enough time.

Thanks guys. Yeah unfortunately we don't have proper heating in our new house yet so the most stable temperature is 18 degrees in the kitchen but I'll give it another week and try to warm it up a bit more. For the sake of the beer, of course ;D

Back