Morebeer FerMonster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about 4 batches done in mine Much easier to clean than my glass carboy. I would not go back to glass Lid seals well, easier to carry

I almost ordered a Fermonster recently for these reasons (large size and clear to see fermentation progress). Does anyone know if morebeer is going to make a ported version of these? I called and asked about a month ago, and the person didn't really know.

To me, the Speidel still has these beat in some ways: comes in a ported version (yes, I could drill into a Fermonster, but I'd rather have it done "professionally"), comes with handles attached, can except a carboy cap which has two ports (airlock, thermowell). When you add the cost of the Fermonster and a brewhauler strap, there is not much difference in cost between the two. If they either made a ported Fermonster, or a clear Speidel, it would be great!

BTW - you can get $5 for Fermonsters today on MoreBeer. Use Fermonster5 for checkout code. So you can get 7G Fermonster for $25 now. I may get another one, not that I really need one though.

Fermonster has a flat part with a circle for porting if you decide to go that route. I have a ported Better Bottle and it's Ok, but I prefer closed transfer route for better control (can see exactly the traub line and transfer from just above it).

The transparency of Fermonster and relative opaqueness of Speidels is what made me choose Fermonster. Clarity of fermenter is an important factor for me.

I never felt a need for handles or straps with plastic fermenters.

It took me 2 minutes to drill an extra hole in a #10 rubber stopper to make a stopper for closed transfers (not sure why people say you can't drill holes in rubber stoppers - you can, it's like butter).
I don't use thermowell since I use brewometer for both temperature and gravity - and my temp control probe is simply affixed to the side wall on the outside. The probe and brewometer show basically identical temperatures.

The 6 gallon I ordered from HBS just came in today. I'll use it tomorrow. I also have a 3rd BMB coming soon. Initial impression of the fermonster are very good. I also still have one of my Better Bottles. Some initial impressions between the three are:

Fermonster:

Pros:

Smooth sides so cleaning could be easier than the Better Bottle and BMB.
No lid to modify for a good seal.
Same size bungs for the Better Bottles can be used with these fermenters.
Punted bottom seems to be higher than the BB and BMB.
Smaller in height, so probably better choice for smaller ferm chambers.

Cons:

Brew Hauler harness doesn't stay up due to the smooth sides (minor complaint).
Only two volume markings on the carboy at 5 and 6 gallons. Again, minor complaint.
Carboy's mouth is smaller than the BMB, so getting your hand down to the very bottom could be problematic.
About the same width as the Better Bottles, so could be crammed for space compared to the taller BMBs.

Big Mouth Bubbler:

Pros:

Large opening seems to be best for getting to the bottom for adequate cleaning.
Volume markings at every gallon.
Ribbed design seems to keep brew hauler snug in place.
dual ported lid availability.
Slimmer in width for better room in a ferm chamber.

Cons

Taller height may be problematic for smaller ferm chambers
Lids (gasket based and screw on) do not hold a good seal. Requires modding for the OCD brewer.
Requires a smaller bung due to the lid design.
Carboy seems thinner and "flexes" a bit easier than the Fermonster and BB.
Price is a bit on the high end, especially after all the accessories.
Lots of "nooks and crannies" in the BMB with the molded rib and bubble design in the plastic make it a bit harder to clean.

Better Bottle:

Pros:

Small neck best for the least amount of head space.
Uses same size bung as Fermonster.
Ribbed design makes it a bit more robust than the BMB, less flexing.
Ribbed design also seems to better suit use of a Brew Hauler harness or similar.
No lid sealing issues since a bung and airlock are all that's used.
Smaller height may be better suited for smaller ferm chambers.

Cons

When fully loaded, picking up the carboy will have some suck back unless you have these in a milk crate* (I don't have this issue with the BMB and the Fermonster is unknown at this time).
No volume markings, unless you know which ribs on the carboy tell you the amounts (1,3,5 I think).
Wider diameter may be problematic for some smaller ferm chambers.
Bung sized opening makes cleaning them a major PITA.

* I had issues with my BBs flexing to where sanitizer would suck back into the wort when picked up. Of course, the easy solution is a solid stopper until you get the carboy to its final destination. I never had this issue with my BMBs, but I use a solid stopper anyways and will do the same on all my fermenters.

Looking forward to seeing how this new fermenter stacks up. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing with it.

I've done one brew so far, a Black IPA, and after cleaning I'm sold on the Fermonster. I've ordered two more that came in last week and I've sold two of my BMBs to a club member.

I love this carboy!

No lid to modify. Just a one piece single lid with a simple Oring. Couldn't be any easier. For me this is a better choice between the Big Mouth Bubbler or Better Bottle. After I use, I only see two negatives.

1) The opening is a bit on the smallish side. I'm able to reach my arm in all the way to the bottom of the carboy for cleaning, but I'm no Lou Ferrigno either. That being said, the opening could be an issue for the more buff brewer. It is still just as easy for me to clean the Fermonster as it was the Big Mouth.

2) No 3 gallon version (<----I failed to mention that in the quoted post the first time, sorry). That might not be a big deal for some, but I do like to do the occasional small batch.

The biggest thing I like is the simple lid, smooth sides, and not having to have two different sized stoppers if you use multi brands of fermenters.

The fermonster is thin so it is a possibility. That said why not take the airlock off when you move it? there is almost no chance of something screwing up the beer in the minute it takes to move it.:)

Any use these to age sours? What is o2 permeability of the lids vs using a rubber stopper in a better bottle?

I'm interested in this as well. The Fermonsters have a flat spot near the bottom, on the side, specifically for drilling out a spigot hole. My only concern with drilling it out is, what kind of bit to use and at what RPM so I don't maul my Fermonster?

I would use one of these to drill this material.

The fermonster is thin so it is a possibility. That said why not take the airlock off when you move it? there is almost no chance of something screwing up the beer in the minute it takes to move it.:)

Agreed. If I have to move my fermenter, I replaced the airlock/stopper with a solid stopper.

If you are going from Better Bottles to these, then you can use the same stoppers, as the hole in the Fermonster lids are the same size. I had to buy the small stoppers for my plastic BMBs.

After having a glass carboy crack in half (luckily right after racking out of it) I decided to get rid of all my glass. There are plenty of threads showing the injuries from glass and I was fortunate to escape that. Got my FerMonster 7 Gallon Carboys a few weeks ago and love them, ordered more.

That being said I have a couple of questions.

1) When cleaning the lids do you remove the gaskets? I am worried taking them off and on every time will damage them but not removing gasket could make it hard to completely sanitize.

2) Even during active ferment I am not seeing any action coming through the airlock, but if I press on the side of the fermentor air bubbles do come through the airlock so I feel the seal is air tight. What is probably going on?

To get the seal out of the lid I have been slapping the lid down on my hand or the counter and it pops out.

No issues with dealing so far either. Possible that you did not get the seal in the recess properly?

You can stretch the gasket which makes it tough to get back in. So I stopped taking them out. I just soak the whole lid in PBW and scrub it.

I get a great seal on mine. Maybe try some keg lube on the gasket? I also tighten the lid pretty tight but not so much that I can't remove it after fermentation.

After having a glass carboy crack in half (luckily right after racking out of it) I decided to get rid of all my glass. There are plenty of threads showing the injuries from glass and I was fortunate to escape that. Got my FerMonster 7 Gallon Carboys a few weeks ago and love them, ordered more.

That being said I have a couple of questions.

1) When cleaning the lids do you remove the gaskets? I am worried taking them off and on every time will damage them but not removing gasket could make it hard to completely sanitize.

2) Even during active ferment I am not seeing any action coming through the airlock, but if I press on the side of the fermentor air bubbles do come through the airlock so I feel the seal is air tight. What is probably going on?

There's a lot more headspace in the 7 gallon fermonster so the activity would slow down sooner

There's a lot more headspace in the 7 gallon fermonster so the activity would slow down sooner

why would yeast activity (as evidenced by bubbling airlock) be dependent on headspace?

I suspect something is not airtight. Either the cap or the airlock. I always see vigorous activity in my airlock.

Also just because when you press on your walls of fermentor the airlock bubbles doesn't mean you have no leaks. You can have small leaks with CO2 escaping all the time, but pushing on the side rapidly wills till make airlock bubble. This is my biggest problem with buckets, incidentally. Hard to make the bucket cover seal airtight.

So it turns out the #10 stopper was not seated tight enough. After pushing it in further getting plenty of airlock activity.

So it turns out the #10 stopper was not seated tight enough. After pushing it in further getting plenty of airlock activity.
I found that if the stopper is moist at all (StarSan in my case) it slides back out and does not quite seal. It seals when it is dry.

Just got mine in the mail. As someone who works in PET research and development for a living, I am finding many quality defects with the way this bottle was made and can't say I'm impressed so far. That being said, that might just be me being picky and it shouldn't affect fermentation at all. Lol. I do see a few scratches on the bottle as well. Will use this for a saison on Saturday.

Planning to get one using as primary but since I will be mostly working with 5 gal batch so still deciding whether which one should I go with, 6 or 7 gal. Anyone could suggest on head space of 6 gal fermonster with 5 gal batch? Picture would be much appreciated.

Planning to get one using as primary but since I will be mostly working with 5 gal batch so still deciding whether which one should I go with, 6 or 7 gal. Anyone could suggest on head space of 6 gal fermonster with 5 gal batch? Picture would be much appreciated.

I was going to ask the same thing but just decided on the 7 since they were pretty much the same price. That way I shouldn't really have to use a blowoff tube.

This is six gallons in a seven gallon fermenter. I'd think if you had a six you'd be fine, but if you ever wanted to ferment slightly more you might wish you had a seven.

IMG_5438.JPG

This is six gallons in a seven gallon fermenter. I'd think if you had a six you'd be fine, but if you ever wanted to ferment slightly more you might wish you had a seven.

I'm chilling a batch in a minute. Give me a bit and I'l post a pic of a 5.5 gallon batch in a 7.

Edit: Sorry, totally misread your post. Thought yours was 5 gallons in a 6 gallon fermonster. I guess.l my pic of 5.5 gallons isnt a whole lot different haha

Does anyone use the 7 gallon in a cool brewing bag? Have the bag coming next week, and am considering one of the fermonsters. Would like to get the 7, but want to be sure there will be enough room inside.

I'm sure it will be fine, but the stupid gasket fell into my wort when I was putting the lid back on. I left it in there. It was in my star san so shouldn't have an issue but still worries me a bit.

I am thinking of getting the 7G Fermonster to use as a primary fermenter, but I want to be able to easily and securely attach a blowoff hose. The help guy at MoreBeer suggested getting one of the #10 stoppers (with a hole predrilled for a bung) and carefully drilling out the hole to fit a larger (3/4", perhaps, or 5/8") blowoff hose. Has anybody tried that? Or are there other suggestions for accommodating a blowoff hose?

Regarding the BMB v. Fermonster, I already have a 5G size BMB, and basically I am pretty happy with it after using it as a secondary fermenter 3-4 times now. The light weight (compared to my glass carboys) is nice, and the wider mouth makes for easy dry hopping additions and cleaning. I am NOT happy with the new silicone gasket style lid though. As the gasket is meant to be installed, it popped out of the opening constantly, even without any pressure inside the BMB. Following a tip from NB, I flipped the gasket around (so the wider of the three or four flanges was at the top), and it seems to work fine now. I had planned on getting the 6.5G size soon to use as a primary fermenter, but the issues with these new lids/gaskets have left me with no confidence in how they will work with the pressures generated in primary. Hence my consideration of the Fermonster.

@tc53

You can definitely drill the Fermonster lid. I've done it with several lids. More Beer also sells solid lids so you can customize the hole size to whatever you want. Whatever you do, use a step bit and take it nice and slow so you keep the edges clean and not overshoot your desired size. Also, I'd avoid drilling right on the seam on the lid. I think it's a bit weaker on the seam.

I found that a 3/4 inch ID hose will fit snug over the OD of the hole for the air lock in the non-solid stoppers. The problem is, as others said, the stopper pops out of the lid if it isn't completely dry. So like hezagenius said, I got a couple solid lids and drilled a hole in one and threaded a 1/2 inch nipple into it and attached the hose to it. That is much more secure. I am going to get an elbow so I can just run the hose down the side of the fermentor. Now, with the hose coming off the nipple, it comes off going straight up and it hits the door on my freezer. It doesn't hurt anything but I worry that the hose will kink and I won't know.

I want to replace a few of my buckets I use for primary fermentation and just came across the FerMonster on Moore Beer today when getting an order together for an upcoming batch. A few questions for those that have been using these......

I brew exclusively 11 gallon batches splitting it in half for 2 separate primaries. With 5.5 gallon batches would you guys recommend the 7 gallon or 6 gallon? 7 gallon seems to be the way most of you are going, but I'm not sure I have the vertical space in my chest freezer. Would I be blowing off with 5.5 gallons of wort in the 6 gallon fermonster?

How are you guys hauling these things around when full? I use a chest freezer as my fermentation chamber, so a bucket handle is nice for getting buckets in/out of my fermentation chamber. Looks like some of you have been using the brew hauler. Would I need 2 brew haulers? Or can I swap the brew hauler to my second fermonster once the first one is in the fermentation chamber? Just wondering how easy it is to remove and put back on the brew hauler from a full fermonster in a crammed chest freezer.

When I bought my 7 gal, I got the brew hauler with it. Much easier to get ahold of that thing and move it. I'll probably get a few more soon.
The brewhauler would not be something you could take off after it's in the chest freezer so you need one for each fermenter...

I want to replace a few of my buckets I use for primary fermentation and just came across the FerMonster on Moore Beer today when getting an order together for an upcoming batch. A few questions for those that have been using these......

I brew exclusively 11 gallon batches splitting it in half for 2 separate primaries. With 5.5 gallon batches would you guys recommend the 7 gallon or 6 gallon? 7 gallon seems to be the way most of you are going, but I'm not sure I have the vertical space in my chest freezer. Would I be blowing off with 5.5 gallons of wort in the 6 gallon fermonster?

How are you guys hauling these things around when full? I use a chest freezer as my fermentation chamber, so a bucket handle is nice for getting buckets in/out of my fermentation chamber. Looks like some of you have been using the brew hauler. Would I need 2 brew haulers? Or can I swap the brew hauler to my second fermonster once the first one is in the fermentation chamber? Just wondering how easy it is to remove and put back on the brew hauler from a full fermonster in a crammed chest freezer.

I just recently did an 11 gallon batch and had to use a blowoff for both fermenters. It was for a choco stout, I used US-04, and it was pretty messy! My last few batches were around the 5.25-5.5 mark in volume and this was the only messy fermentation I had, so I guess it depends on the brew and how aggressive the yeast you're using is going to be. I have 6 gallon Fermonsters, but even if they were seven gallons, I'd still use a blow off. I would just rather be safe than sorry.

As for moving them around, I love the brew haulers for mine. I have one for each of my carboys (3 fermonsters, one Better Bottle). They pretty much stay on all the time, unless I'm cleaning them. I bought mine in pairs from Amazon for, IIRC, $20.

I also bought one of those strap style wrenches to help get the lids off when cleaning them. The lids on these things almost seal too good.

Got 2 of the 7 gallon FerMonsters ordered today along with 2 of the brew haulers. Based on my measurements there is just enough room in my chest freezer fermentation chamber to fit both. Will be a little tight height wise since I figure I have about 27" of clearance. The FerMonster's measure 21" which should still give me enough room with the bung and airlock on. Looking forward to using them this weekend. My buckets needed replaced awhile ago!!

Have had my FerMonsters in my fermentation chamber now for close to 3 weeks fermenting a Two Hearted Ale clone. Loving them so far. The only negative I have is that while cold crashing the thin plastic will suck/collapse at the sides with the cooling liquid/air inside the FerMonsters compressing. I just release the bung a bit and they pop right back out though. The negative with that is I'm sure I'm introducing oxygen into the FerMonster this way. I naturally carb in my kegs so the oxygen should be taken care of when I keg tonight, but do you guys do anything different to combat the collapsing of your FerMonsters while cold crashing?

Have had my FerMonsters in my fermentation chamber now for close to 3 weeks fermenting a Two Hearted Ale clone. Loving them so far. The only negative I have is that while cold crashing the thin plastic will suck/collapse at the sides with the cooling liquid/air inside the FerMonsters compressing. I just release the bung a bit and they pop right back out though. The negative with that is I'm sure I'm introducing oxygen into the FerMonster this way. I naturally carb in my kegs so the oxygen should be taken care of when I keg tonight, but do you guys do anything different to combat the collapsing of your FerMonsters while cold crashing?

you can backfill with CO2. Connect it to an empty keg at slightly above atmospheric pressure before cold crashing, or just keep a line with low pressure of CO2. Or just re-inflate it as it's on the edge of collapse. You may need a carbacap for this.

Any fermenter will either take on oxygen (from air) or will collapse during cold-crashing (and as soon as you open it for transfer . Or, if it's a rigid fermentor like glass, it will have a risk of breaking while cold-crashing. I guess you could cold-crash in kegs, but then you still have to transfer off the yeast, which is it's own issue.

I guess my point - people who claim they can cold crash with their plastic fermenter walls not collapsing on them - they have a leak.

I realize this isn't rocket science but figured it might somebody so here's how I marked up my 7 gallon Fermonster.

First I ensured it was completely dry, hooked up the spigot, and calibrated my water to around 68 degrees.

Next I started the process of measuring out 2 quarts of water, pouring them into the fermonster, marking just below the water line with 4 inches of masking tape. I mad sure both ends of the tape were equidistant from the water line so the lines would be as straight as possible. This worked well until gallon 7 and above as they are on angles. For those I just tried to get the middle as straight as possible. Not too concerned with the accuracy of those anyway.

I found I could get into a good rhythm of refilling the pitcher while waiting for the addition to the Fermonster to stabilize and likewise I could mark the Fermonster while I was waiting for the pitcher water to stabilize.

Next simply use a permanent marker and your still hand of choice to draw lines above each piece of masking tape. I choose to do 1 inch lines for gallon markers and .5 inch lines for the 1/2 gallon markings.

FWIW, I measured the capacity of my 7 gallon Fermonster at slightly above 7 11/16ths gallons. That is with the spigot which takes up some volume. Also the 5, 6, and 7 gallon markers were all off by quite a bit as pictured below (look for the dimple which is about 1/4 inch higher than my 5 gallon mark. Note the cool bubble lines that naturally occurred during this process at each 1/2 gallon marking...too bad I couldn't use those to somehow chalkline the fermonster.

Also if you make a mistake with the permanent marker, you can use dry erase markers to draw over the permanent marker. It acts like an eraser and then you can wipe both off easily.

I'm not sure why the pics I upload always show up rotated incorrectly...I am positive they are the right orientation when I upload them. Any advice?

20170116_225505.jpg

20170116_225443.jpg

Anyone having any luck with getting the lid off easily after fermentation? Mine are a bear to get off. I lube the o-ring with keg lube on brew day, but it doesn't seem to help much at all. I need a second person to hold the Fermonster so I can man handle the lid to get it off. Last batch I was by myself so I just transferred through the bung hole and dealt with the lids after I got all the beer out. A strap wrench would probably work, but I don't have one that fits good. Any other ideas?

Anyone having any luck with getting the lid off easily after fermentation? Mine are a bear to get off. I lube the o-ring with keg lube on brew day, but it doesn't seem to help much at all. I need a second person to hold the Fermonster so I can man handle the lid to get it off. Last batch I was by myself so I just transferred through the bung hole and dealt with the lids after I got all the beer out. A strap wrench would probably work, but I don't have one that fits good. Any other ideas?

I only ferment for like 2 weeks max before kegging so I just took the o rings out of my lids. The last time I couldn't get it off I sat on the floor facing the wall and held it in between my legs and gave it everything I could. haha. I have a friend who had to throw his against a wall. If you don't have a strap wrench, you could always just use a belt.

Back