Thick mouthfeel with extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Entrepreneur640

Reaction score
Has anyone had success attaining a thick/heavy mouthfeel with extract kits. Mine all seem to come out a little thin for my liking. I am about to do a milk stout and am really hoping to have a thick mouthfeel. Any advice?

Adding Lactose will give body but also give sweetness. I get great body and mouthfeel with my kits. It could be the water or extract your using.

Oatmeal would have to be mashed. You could try adding maltodextrin. It gives more mouthfeel & better head.

Speciality grains and hops somehow give my beers better mouthfeel. We really need some recipes of brews that you didn't come out right and how you brewed them to see what you are doing wrong. Also post the recipe for that stout so we can help. You might be watering down your beer or adding too much dextrose that thins it out, it could be anything. We need more info. You can't just say add maltodextrin, without knowing if he is doing the basics right. (no offense meant to anyone here)

unionrdr said:
Oatmeal would have to be mashed. You could try adding maltodextrin. It gives more mouthfeel & better head.

This BEGS for a dirty joke, but I will refrain!
Must... not get..... tempted...!

Assuming you've done everything else right......

Maltodextrin!

Head over to your local GNC-type store... and pick up a big jar of "CytoCarb 2." That's the cheapest way I've found to get pure maltodextrin powder.

Just brewed a Belgian Quad and put 6 ounces in there; I've become fond of the stuff!

Thanks everyone!

I brewed the milk stout with maltodextrin, lactose, and oats. I am enjoy a hearty stout with a heavy mouthfeel and thick chocolate notes. I will also add that my other extract batches aren't super thin. They are probably closer to their style.
I was just wanting to know for this batch, and future batches, how to get a heavy, yet creamy mouthfeel for my stouts. I appreciate everyone's input! Once again, I am so happy to have found HBT!

Back