I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this tearing out some walls. It is 111 years old and the ace of spades...any bids?

thumb2_ace-60798.jpg

Yeah, I can see how you wouldn't want to peel those. Last year I didn't peel or core. I just removed stems. It worked fine, but afterwards the pulp was useless being full of seeds. This year I wanted to use the leftover pulp for applesauce, so I decided on the extra work of peeling and coring.

When my peaches are ready I'd be happy to send you a box full. I'm not sure how they would fare during shipping, but I'm more than willing to try. I'm still not sure if they will taste very good, since the tree is technically a wild shoot. If they're good I'll let you know.

A box of peaches would be awesome. I could send you some snow in a month or two:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey LRb, chemistry and microbiology is something we all need to brush up on. We're brewers!

Glad you got a chance to quench your thirst after that long talk.

Just watched Days of Thunder for the first time. Robert Duvall and Tom Cruise. Say what you want about TC, he never makes a bad movie. Robert Duvall, hm niether.

Also want to say, Mike sorry you have to let go a good set of chompers but happy you're going to be able to give up the pain killers and start livng life again

LG.. Great fix on the phone. I have a Jeep with 225K on it. I occasionally need to fix things on it and it's good as new. Great feeling. Cheers for you :mug:

Beaks, sorry to hear about your mishap. Truly wish you a speedy recovery my friend. Wish I could take Pappy's advice when I get randomly drug tested for work.. "Do I bring my own or do you provide?" (or something like that)

:pipe:
I've got over 230k on my truck. She's never let me down.

I am so going to say that next time I get a random'ed.

I don't like dental work either. My dentist says I'm one of only two patients he's ever seen where lidocaine injections simply do not work. I now get put under whenever feasible.

I would put ice cream in the middle.

You really shouldn't be dealing with withdrawals after only two weeks. If it was more than just some sort of placebo effect, consider yourself very fortunate that they were almost certainly on the very mild end of the spectrum.

I've been on very heavy painkillers (large dose Dilaudid) for the past 3.5 years, for a facial nerve issue. I occasionally get a bit of brain fog still, but I manage.
Ice cream sounds perfect. :)

Novocaine doesn't work for me at all. Lidocaine works, for almost exactly 20 minutes regardless of the dose. As in 2 shots in the jaw. 20 minutes. 7 shots in the jaw. 25 minutes.

As for the withdrawl, I was breaking out into cold sweats a lot. I was really irritable, and I just flat wanted more pain killers. I wasn't in pain, I just wanted more pain killers anyway. I quite smoking at the same time as I started taking the pain killers, so that probably had something to do with it.

Study history it's never been a nice place. My take is start with yourself and go with a "butterfly effect" but there shall always be those that believe they are above others. So be the person you wish the rest of the world should be and keep sanity in check with that:D
Beeks :mug: to that. I don't try to change the world, I just try to make that little part around me better.
Thanks LRB!

After I peel, slice, and core the apples I let them sit out for a while so they will oxidize a little. Then I bag them up and freeze them overnight. The next day they get thawed and boiled in just enough water to cover them up. Then I lauter the whole mess through my MLT. This leaves me with a gravity of about 1.020 since I use so much water. The apple flavor is very strong, but the sugar content is too low for cider. That's why I make a lot and boil it down. I also add brown sugar to increase the gravity and dry it out during fermentation. It leaves me with an abv of about 5.5-6%. It makes a very tasty cider. You can really taste the freshness of the homegrown apples. Next year I might actually make a large apple press, so I can forgo the two boiling processes.

Then I scoop the pulp out of the MLT and heat it with brown sugar and spices to make the applesauce. Then process the jars in hot water to pasteurize.
I was wondering where your press was, and why peeled the apples.

When I was a kid I remember spending a lot of hours de-stemming, quartering, and coring apples with a pairing knife. I must have started doing that when I was about 4. My Dad liked to make cider every year. Though we were Mormon at the times, so it wasn't alcoholic.

Usually, we did the peeled apples in the press first. Those got turned into apple sauce and/or apple butter. They were the larger apples. We used the crushed pulp leftover from the press. The smaller ones we just washed, de-stemmed, quartered, cored, and pressed.
Sounds delicious and work/time intensive. My grandma would cook the applesauce down til thick then cut 5 inch circles of pie crust dough scoop 1/3 -1/4 cup of apple mixture fold in 1/2 wet the edges and press seal them with a fork. Bake til lightly brown she called them hand pies I believe that it's a tart variation.
I love hand pies. My mom makes them with pretty much drier version of beef stew as a filling. Calls them cornish beef pasties.

Those are indeed small! Some of mine are so large they won't work on the peeler/corer/slicer machine. Those are the ones I've been giving to friends and family.

I have a young peach tree with so many peaches on it that branches are breaking, which really sucks!
Ooh, sounds like you needed to thin the blossoms on that one. Sometimes a late frost will do that for you, but I'm not sure that's likely where you are.

I've pondered the same question. I can't find anything about the poster on the interwebs.

Found this:

http://www.jazzage1920s.com/peggyenglish/peggyenglish.php

And this:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...S0uAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZNUFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3176,3946786

Looks like he toured with his orchestra in the 20s and 30s.

EDIT: Actually I found some older stuff from around 1910 that might be a better fit.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...LPcxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dOMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=767,4511567

Here is mention of "Raymond Teal Musical Comedy Company The Big Song Show" from December 9, 1911:

http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/lccn/sn85033159/1911-12-09/ed-1/seq-6/ocr.txt

It must be another Ray Teal, as the one who played in Bonanza was only born in 1907.

Here's some more, in Bisbee Arizona in Feb 1911.

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper ...Mirror 1910 Sep-Dec 1911 Grayscale - 1057.pdf

In Oklahoma August 1910:

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper ...Mirror 1910 Sep-Dec 1911 Grayscale - 0109.pdf

Ooh, sounds like you needed to thin the blossoms on that one. Sometimes a late frost will do that for you, but I'm not sure that's likely where you are.

I should have indeed thinned the blossoms, but I didn't have time at that point in life. To be honest I think a mature tree could handle the amount of peaches, but this is just a 2 year old tree. The branches that are breaking aren't much thicker than one inch in diameter. It was actually odd that such a young tree made so much fruit. I'd never seen a fruit tree do that. It's another characteristic that I'm chalking up to the fact that it's a wild shoot.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I guess that confirms that it was indeed the same Ray Teal.

EDIT: OK, I just went back and saw your edit. Perhaps it's not the same Ray Teal...

This poster along with quite a few other similar ones were found in an old farm house in Deming, New Mexico.

I should have indeed thinned the blossoms, but I didn't have time at that point in life. To be honest I think a mature tree could handle the amount of peaches, but this is just a 2 year old tree. The branches that are breaking aren't much thicker than one inch in diameter. It was actually odd that such a young tree made so much fruit. I'd never seen a fruit tree do that. It's another characteristic that I'm chalking up to the fact that it's a wild shoot.
Perhaps Dionysus is suggesting something to you. :tank:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I guess that confirms that it was indeed the same Ray Teal.

EDIT: OK, I just went back and saw your edit. Perhaps it's not the same Ray Teal...

This poster along with quite a few other similar ones were found in an old farm house in Deming, New Mexico.

Bisbee AZ is south of Tuscon. If they were touring Deming NM isn't so far away.
That poster might be over 100 years old!

Bisbee AZ is south of Tuscon. If they were touring Deming NM isn't so far away.
That poster might be over 100 years old!

We found about 4 posters that day. The owner of the house was kind enough to let me have the one pictured. He said that they had found several more inside of various walls in the house. He also mentioned that he had donated a couple of the more pristine ones to a local museum in Deming.

Secondary, I had to rack a gallon off not enough room bubbling like crazy after only a 1/2 hour (I've been sniffing the blow-off container...is that wrong;))

Sounds great!

I used to put a plastic cup over the top of my airlocks just so I could pick it up and sniff the inside of it every couple of hours. haha..

Wife caught me muttered "idiot" shook her head and walked away. Love that woman:D

Next time put your arms around your fermentor as you lovingly sniff the airlock. When your wife walks in on you, suddenly pull away, put your hands behind your back, and say "We're just friends, I swear!".

a small upright freezer that we bent the racks on

That's a brilliant idea. I was just wondering how I would go about modifying the racks. I was thinking I'd cut, re-braze, and have a friend that does HVAC do the vacuum and re-charge.

Bending the tube would be much better!

Anyone else love delicious beer and supplement with crappy vodka?

Drunken ramble: I wanna play some football, drink some beer, play guitar, brew some more, and not go to work. Any other similar life aspirations?

You need to trim the tree not pick off blossoms. fruit producing trees require maintenance trimming at least once a year for the best fruit and healthy trees.

You need to trim the tree not pick off blossoms. fruit producing trees require maintenance trimming at least once a year for the best fruit and healthy trees.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I actually pruned it back during the winter. It went crazy when spring hit. It flowered and made fruit, and then grew another 24-30 in length on each branch after it made fruit. I was taught not to prune during the summer months while sap is running, so I haven't trimmed it since winter. I'll prune it back a good amount this winter...

Wow! Busy thread today. Mike, I get the feeling you could grow roses in a coal mine. Loved reading about your apples and know from tasting your hard cider and beers first hand; you are a Brewmaster to be admired and celebrated.

Have a great weekend my friend!

Cheers!
Dan :mug:

Big day tomorrow. Last weekend hauled some things to my daughter's apartment near her school. Tomorrow taking the rest of her stuff up. She's kind of lucky that I am moving as far as stuff goes. I have a house full of it that didn't get sold at yardsales or moved.

She's going to use my primary car to drive up there and then for 4-5 months because it is reliable. The jeep I was going to let her have has been a bit finicky lately. So tomorrow the car is packed and she'll drive it. I'm riding my bike and will help her get settled in.

Should be a nice ride, just under 200 miles. Around 100 of it will be on a Freeway whch is kind of fast for me but then will ride through Hollister and down the coast to Monterey. Should be fun.

Goodnight. Time to rest for tomorrow's ride.

Wow! Busy thread today. Mike, I get the feeling you could grow roses in a coal mine. Loved reading about your apples and know from tasting your hard cider and beers first hand; you are a Brewmaster to be admired and celebrated.

Have a great weekend my friend!

Cheers!
Dan :mug:
Thanks a lot Dan! You're too kind my friend! I hope I can replicate last years cider. I'm not going to lie when I say I was winging it by the seat of my pants when I made it last year. I'm trying to do everything the exact same way, as I remember it. I didn't write down too many notes, but luckily I think I remember the important stuff.

I hope you enjoy your weekend as well. Have a fun and safe ride!

We have a small apple tree, but birds keep chomping the fruit, then they fall and our turtle eats the remains.
That's interesting. Birds don't care for my granny smiths at all. I was thinking they just aren't sweet enough for them. My turtles don't like them either. My peaches on the other hand.... The birds and turtles will eat those.

Put some rubber snakes in the fruit trees. It will keep the birds away. sounds weird but it works.

That's a genius idea. I think I'll go look for a couple at the dollar stores for my peach tree!

Hmm...boiling wheat bran smells like cooking spaghetti. This will be an interesting beer.

I measured the gravity just after the start of the boil and get a PPG of about 7 for wheat bran. Will probably pick up a few more points as the boil progresses. My initial guesstimate for wheat bran ppg was 14, derived from a bran beer recipe written in the 1850s. Not too bad. It looks to be mostly a starch contribution.

Well, I boiled it down to the final volume and took a reading. I get 13 ppg (based on original weights and volumes) which compares well to the 14 I got from the estimates. The original estimates were using the final barrel volume and the original dry grain amounts, so it's on target.

I just added the golden syrup. The wort now tastes like wort. It actually tastes like a liquid bran muffin. I'm chilling the wort down now. I am going to krausen it since I already have a batch of ale going in high krausen and 2.5 qts of beer isn't worth tearing open a whole sachet of Nottingham. Will probably ferment it right in the pot.

Back