my stout lacks body, can i fix it in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
I have already finished primary on my stout about a week ago. It has been sitting secondary since then. I must also admit I added nearly a gallon too much water when going in primary. I was using an odd carboy that I later discoverd was 6 gallon. Beginner mistake, I know.

The taste is good on sample, but feels thin. Is there anything I can do at this point?

What about removing a few pints of it, souring it, pasteurizing it, then adding back into secondary?

I'm up for any suggtions that may help. Would do anything to try and save this one!

Disclaimer: I really know nothing about brewing.

This is a great question that I'd like to know the answer to as well.

I'm wondering if you were to boil and chill some maltodextrin and ad it while racking to the secondary would be of any help.

What is the gravity of the beer right now?

Was this an extract brew, or AG?

I'd personally avoid maltodextrin, but you could boil some water, add it, cool it and add it to secondary and see what you think.

If it's a big stout, and it's not too sweet, which would make it thinner and drier, you could try adding some lactose to it. Boil some water, add lactose, cool and add to the beer. It'll add some body and mouthfeel to the beer, and 1 # of it won't overly sweeten the beer too much.

The souring it and adding it back sounds terrible, IMO.

It Was an extract kit from AHS. the " budget stout" for $22.99 last time I made this one it was fine, I think my extra gallon of water is the problem.

It is already in the secondary, has been for a week.

Any further suggestions, or anyone want to give a second on the maltodextren idea?

It Was an extract kit from AHS. the " budget stout" for $22.99 last time I made this one it was fine, I think my extra gallon of water is the problem.

It is already in the secondary, has been for a week.

Any further suggestions, or anyone want to give a second on the maltodextren idea?

Whats the gravity?

If it's not too high, add some lactose. It'll sweeten a bit, but will deliver some body.

Otherwise try maltodextrin.. Some people can taste it, so go light at first.

OP, sounds like yes, you made a mistake... but trying to diagnose and fix the mistake now is probably only going to lead to more mistakes.

Uncarbonated beer in a carboy often tastes thin; carbonation is a huge part of mouthfeel.

If you ask me, you'll do better by leaving this beer alone and fixing your overfill mistake in the next batch. Otherwise, you are very likely to add new mistakes and be unable to figure out exactly what went wrong.

If you ask me, you'll do better by leaving this beer alone and fixing your overfill mistake in the next batch. Otherwise, you are very likely to add new mistakes and be unable to figure out exactly what went wrong.

Agreed.

This batch is done. The best thing to do is let it finish it's course, keg or bottle it, and then enjoy it for what it is.

You now know how to improve the next batch! :)

Back