Amsterdam Breweries??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
A friend of mine is going to parts of Europe(Ireland, England, Amsterdam, France) for the summer(his wife's graduation present to him, lucky SOB...) and offered to send me some hard to find beers while in Amsterdam. Shipping is obviously a concern for this. Does anybody know:

A: Is there anything really illegal about this, or can he just label the box "fragile" and ship as usual?

B: Are there any good breweries(trappist, hopefully) that will ship directly from the brewery in the Amsterdam area?

Any useful advice could result in you getting a couple rare and tasty beers delivered to your doorstep:mug:

For Ireland have a bottle of Middleton's coming my way...

The only way for him to know for sure would be to find out from both Amsterdam and US export/import agencies. There is probably a good chance (esp. given the nature of other things legally available in Amsterdam...) that the regulations to the US are monitored closely.

Other then Heineken, I don't remember being other breweries in Amsterdam. Tell your friend to take a train to Belgium for the good beer.

Amsterdam is not very diverse for beer. You basically have three choices: Heinecken, Amstel, and Wieckse Wit. Most places only carry one of the three. The beer tastes AMAZINGLY different there - the Heinecken doesn't have the skunky lager taste like it does in bottles in the US. Wieckse is my FAVORITE Wit, but I've yet to find it in the states.

Save the money on shipping. By some cans of Heinecken, light a spliff, and go to a massage parlor. Just like being there.

Your friend should go to Belgium if beer is of concern (and train tickets when I was last there were only like $60 return from Amsterdam central to Bruxelles Midi, and from there it is only a short commuter train ride to Bruges - the land of french fries and good beer).
Frankly, while in Amsterdam I was appalled that a city with such a variety of the ganjareef had such a poor variety of beer to go with it. I love Amsterdam, but the number of drunk English and American stag parties visiting in order to get F'ed up and pick up an STD or two was shocking. It made it sort of a drag to go out at night

The only Trappist Brewery in Nederlands is Bierbrouwerij de Koningshoeven outside of Tilburg near the Belgian border. They brew the La Trappe beers - Blonde, Dubbel, Tripel, Quadrupel & Witte La Trappe. I had the pleasure of drinking these with the General Manger and brewer at my local last night as they are in Seattle as part of a West Coast beer tour. You're friend should be able to find these beers in Amsterdam if they're not readily available in your area.

GoatFarmersInternational said:
Your friend should go to Belgium if beer is of concern (and train tickets when I was last there were only like $60 return from Amsterdam central to Bruxelles Midi, and from there it is only a short commuter train ride to Bruges - the land of french fries and good beer).
Frankly, while in Amsterdam I was appalled that a city with such a variety of the ganjareef had such a poor variety of beer to go with it. I love Amsterdam, but the number of drunk English and American stag parties visiting in order to get F'ed up and pick up an STD or two was shocking. It made it sort of a drag to go out at night

You hung out in the RLD, didn't you? LAst time I was there, we stayed in the Leidesplein which is far superior. Less ganja joints (other than the Bulldog), but TONS of great bars and...well...mediocre restaurants. No such thing as good dutch food. But it's a quick walk to the RLD and the Ganja district.

First time there, we stayed in the heart of the RLD and we also got fed up with the rugby goon squads and junkies.

Cheesefood said:
You hung out in the RLD, didn't you? LAst time I was there, we stayed in the Leidesplein which is far superior. Less ganja joints (other than the Bulldog), but TONS of great bars and...well...mediocre restaurants. No such thing as good dutch food. But it's a quick walk to the RLD and the Ganja district.

First time there, we stayed in the heart of the RLD and we also got fed up with the rugby goon squads and junkies.

Yep, exactly.

:mug:

Back