Loc Line for Sparge Assembly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderguy

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of applications using various Loc-Line assemblies, including a cool duel spray ring approach on youtube for sparging.

I had some concerns as the listed maximum operating temperature is listed as 170. Now you really shouldn't go over that sparging, but since it was "on the line" I thought there might be some risk of flavor impacts or some health issues, etc.

So I called the company that manufactures Loc-Line and spoke to their sales manager.

Here's the skinny:

The 170 degree temperature guideline is for mechanical reasons. At temps higher than than the ball/socket connects becomes more prone to leakage...no big if you're using it for sparging. In fact they have FDA "Food Grade" rating to 240 degrees and she assured me there would be no possible impact to flavor, health, etc as the plastic doesn't even begin to soften until about 340 degrees.

Just thought I'd share the info in case anyone else was on the fence. I ordered my parts to make that double ring like on youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlR6Ud7dMQ]New Sparging Unit Using Loc-line Brewing a Wheat Wine - YouTube[/ame]

I use Loc-Line in my mash tun to recirculate through my mash and to sparge with (minus all of the extra orange attachments in the video) and it has worked great for me! bmunos, you can get them from mcmaster carr. The part number I used were:

5307K48 1/2" NPT MALE CONNECTOR FOR 1/2" ID, SNAP-LOC ANY-WHICH-WAY
10095K45 1' OF 1/2" ID, LOC-LINE ANY-WHICH-WAY COOLANT HOSE 2
10095K25 1/2" DIAMETER ROUND NOZZLE FOR 1/2" ID, LOC-LINE ANY-WHICH-WAY

Cheers!

Loc line is awesome. I use it for patchbay connectors - water in , discharge out , wort recirc return , plate chiller , etc. It does drip some, but my solution is to mount everything above the HLT so any little drips go in there.

One thing to be very careful of is : Loc-Line becomes very creaky and immobile the hotter it gets and easily can snap off on one of the joints if you start manipulating it. If you are going to move it around, you NEED to shut off your pumps before you do so you don't have an accident.

I've not had any problems with my loc-line sending boiling wort back to the kettle in a recirculation. Heck, the tip of it stays in the kettle during the whole boil actually.

Latest posts

Back