First brew in about a year.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdeezy

Reaction score
Hey guys I was a little rusty when i went shopping for brew supplies and i was one pound short of DME. Im going for a dark Red Ale with some decent hop flavors. Sort of a Red Rocket Ale clone, but with fruity hop notes.

To make up for the DME i forgot, I'm just going to use a half pound of light brown sugar. I hope it wont throw the flavor off too much. Here's the Recipe after i changed it to the brown sugar. Let me know what you guys think.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 2.82 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.60 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 16.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 12.5 %
6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 75.0 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.1 %
4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 6 27.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30. Hop 8 20.8 IBUs
8.0 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 5 6.3 %

That isn't much brown sugar at all. Unless you want the high OG you could probably even leave it out as the 6lb of DME dwarfs it, and it'll dry it up slightly.

Don't know about the style myself, are you steeping or mashing the grains? Good luck dude :)

I used the brown sugar just so that i would still hit my ABV, and OG for all of those hops.

I missed my OG, but not by much at 1.062.

I just tucked it away in the closet so we'll see how it looks when i get back.

I steeped the grains. I've never used the Victory before they had an awesome biscuit smell. The color from the hydro reading was right where i wanted it to be. I can only imagine what it will look like after the yeasts do their thing.

Here's a pic of the wort while i was taking my gravity reading. It's a little more orange than i would've liked, I was really hoping for more Red, but I can't complain. I think after it hangs out for a while in there and clears up some it will be even closer to where i wanted it. Also here is my final recipe, It changed a little bit when i decided to add half of the DME at 15 mins left in the boil.

5174-hop-dread-red-hydro-reading.jpg

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hop Dread Red
Brewer: PDeezy
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
Estimated IBU: 60.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for15 min](8.0 S Dry Extract 8 37.5 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 12.0 min Hop 9 4.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 6 29.7 IBUs
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 37.5 %

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs
----------------------------

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just checked in the closet and it was bubbling pretty well so I am well on my way. Temps are holding steady at 68, so I should be ready to bottle up in 2 weeks.

Thanks, I hope that is exactly what it looks like. I have another question.

To measure my temps i just have a regular thermometer, and i rest the probe on the side of the bucket. The temps usually stay around 65-68, would i benefit from a stick on thermometer? Or do you guys think this method is close enough? Also, do those stick on thermometers work on the plastic buckets, or are they only good on the carboys?

Thanks

They would work on anything they're immersed in! Just be sure there's no chance of it smashing. I use a normal thermometer from my lhbs, floating ones encourage you to leave them in your brew, and id rather it not be there if it doesn't have my full attention!

Well it's not immersed in anything, it's just sitting on the outside of the bucket. I feel like it is probably warmer on the inside, which is why i have been shooting for 65.

I just slapped an aquarium thermometer on there and it is reading 72. I have the bucket wrapped in a thick blanket with a few ice packs, and got the ambient temp under the blanket down to about 58 so hopefully the temp will drop fairly quickly. I hope the few hours is spent at the higher temp didn't do too much harm.

I will putting together a swamp cooler very soon.

Well it's been 2 weeks, and I'm about to dry hop for the last 7 days or so. I got a steady FG of 1.014 for the last 2 days. I missed my estimated FG by a little bit.

I know there are a lot of factors involved, but would a lower steeping temp cause me to have a higher FG? I'm not conceded at all, in fact I think it will help balance the hops some, but I was just wondering.

I also have another question: has anyone discovered a way to have a shorter bitterness? What I mean is I enjoy the bitter aftertaste of a well hopped IPA, but sometimes the bitterness sticks around for too long. I have noticed some longer than others and I don't believe it is directly related to more or less IBUs. Maybe it has to do with a higher FG with a more malty backbone to wash it out some? Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I was thinking to much bittering hops &/or too long a bittering time on the hop schedule. They say tannins can add this as well. But a lower steep temp tells me no. That's why I like hop bursting.

I was thinking to much bittering hops &/or too long a bittering time on the hop schedule. They say tannins can add this as well. But a lower steep temp tells me no. That's why I like hop bursting.

Ya I've been doing some research on that method, and i think the minimal increase in cost is well worth the possible affect on the finished brew.

Another question, anyone have any experience dry hopping with Columbus? I really wanted to dry hop with cascade because they are by far my favorite in aroma and taste, but i have 2 extra ounces of Columbus pellets.

Will it make that much of a difference, or should i save the columbus for my next Pale Ale?

Thanks guys. I should be dry hopping tomorrow and bottling in 5-7.

:mug::mug::mug:

When I brewed my IPA,i used 3 diff hops in late additions of 1.5oz each,having bought 6oz. I used Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade in it. The last.5oz of each in a 1 week dry hop. aromas were outstanding,& a bit more flavor was had as well. I'd go ahead & use some,just not so much that it over shadows the rest of the hop profile.

I decided to let it go for a full 3 weeks before dry hopping. Yesterday I put an oz of columbus in my big grain bag and lowered down into the bucket. The top 6 inches or so is haning out of the side and is clamped down by the lid. It seemed to still have a pretty good seal, so i will leave it be for 5 days (I'm going on the low side of the dry hop time due to the fact that the columbus hops are a little bit more pungent than the cascade - thanks unionrdr). A plus to using the grain bag is that it weighs a bit more than the hop sack so there wont be any problems with it only floating on the top, and not mixing well. Should be ready to bottle Sunday night.

I def like the Columbus in an IPA. Gotta make more in a few weeks. I'll be taking my 1st FG sample from my Burton ale this Sunday. Can't wait to see how it's coming along. I have to use a grain bag for the whole leaf hops sheer volume.

Ya this was supposed to be sort of a red IPA "Hop Dread Red" if you will, but things seem on the malty side so far. We'll see how it turns out, and i will probably end up making 2 batches going 2 different directions (malty and hoppy) based on how this one tastes.

I just bottled this one up today. The hydro sample tasted awesome. Nice and malty, with a hint of sweetness up front, also just a tad bready, then a nice fruity full hop flavor. I'm sure that some time in the bottles with meld the flavors even more. I'm pretty stoked though.

One issue, the beer is more brown then red, any tips on getting the color where I want it on the next go around?

Thanks for the help guys.

I poured this up last night after 3-4 days in the bottle. It had a nice head, but the beer was flat, and the flavors need some time to meld together. Other than that it tasted awesome. It was exactly what i was going for, malty up front, and a great hop finish. Hopefully it will taste even better when i try it 2.5 weeks from now.

There is a weird sweet aftertaste that i especially hope will subside after a few more weeks have gone by. I used spring water, but it almost taste like the medicne flavor i used to get when i used my hard tap water a few years back. Only time will tell.

After a couple more weeks in the bottle I'll wager that it will be more carbonated and less sweet as the yeast converts one to the other.

Congrats.

Brent

When it carbs up more,the malt sweetness should balance out more. Off flavors can subside with more conditioning time as well,ime.

Hey guys i just tried this one again after 2 weeks in the bottle. I know it's supposed to be in the fridge for another week, but i had to sneak one.

It's damn good for my first shot at making my own recipe, but I can't wait to tweak it and rebrew. The mouth feel is nice and silky, and the taste is great: caramel, and malty, with a nice bitter and dry finish. Also, the head retention is awesome even after only being in the fridge for 3-4 hours. However, It seems like some of the hop flavors, and nose have faded since the last time I tried it. The bitterness is there, but just a touch of the fruitiness has passed. So I will need to up those additions accordingly next time I brew, but I understand it is a delicate process so I wont change anything too dramatically.

Here's a shot of the pour..

It taste more along the lines of a Double IPA (although obviously not as bitter or big) than a "India Red Ale" like I was shooting for. I might just have to leave this recipe as it is, and start from scratch for the red because this is definitely a good beer, just not quite what I was looking for.

If I do work from this one, I think I need to drop the chocolate and add some barley.

Here is the original recipe, Any thoughts? How much does 4oz of chocolate effect the flavor?

Recipe: Hop Dread Red
Brewer: PDeezy
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
Estimated IBU: 60.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for15 min](8.0 S Dry Extract 8 37.5 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 12.0 min Hop 9 4.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 6 29.7 IBUs
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 37.5 %

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs

Thanks for the help guys. I'm stoked to be drinking one of my own beers that didn't come straight out of a can. I can't believe the difference in head retention and mouthfeel that came from steeping grains in this recipe.

It's going to be hard to wait the whole week knowing these are sitting in the back of the fridge.

Had a few of these last night with some friends. This beer is really at it's peak now. It is awesome. Pretty nice hop nose, malty, caramel backbone, a touch of roastiness, and a clean/slighty citrus hop finish.

One of my buddies even offered to help me pay for the next batch so he could drink some more. I'd say that's a mark of success.

Everyone that has tried this so far has loved it. It's getting better and better every week. I will be brewing this again very soon before I run out.

I brewed my first beer in about 6 months. I have been doing mead and wine. I am glad to get back to beer.

This has been in the bottles for almost 2 months, and it just keeps getting better and better. It is so red now. I'll post a picture later on today so you guys can check it out.

Back