I Love Bud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pdeezy said:
I still can't tell if you're joking or not, but...

The part in which you told someone they are (mainly) responsible for not having access to craft beers in their chain stores because they live in Louisville - WTF? . You then go on to describe how awesome it is where you live because there are craft beers available everywhere.

The reason craft beers aren't available in grocery stores in some areas of this country is because the distributors pockets are lined with BMC cash, and most of the people that decide which beers go where on the shelves work for BMC. I just think the statement should have been more along the lines of - I wish every area in the US was as opened to distibuting craft beers as where I live, and so we should work to improve the way things are. Not - if you can't get any decent beer move to CA.

I am almost positive you were kidding now...but there's my opinion in the off chance that you weren't - Lol.

good points. I was wondering about the seriousness of that as well.

I'd love to sit here and indulge myself in debating with you guys your conspiracy theory that the only reason your grocers don't carry a stunning array of craft beer is because the distributors are bribed... I'm not totally sure its allowed here. We have a special forum here for that which actual paid members can participate in.

The truth of the matter is that the grocers are there to support the habits of whatever socio-demographic they are situated in. I'm willing to bet if you can't get great beer there are a lot of other things you can't get as well. Believe me, if there was a real thirst for this beer that you are complaining you can't get, it would be there. The grocers aren't tied up in BMC bribery rings, they are there to support the needs of the customer. If it was any other way, the customers would be flocking to the one store that sold the good beer. I have ruled out the possibility that your local grocery chains are run like Sicilian crime families, if this is the case please correct me.

I didn't mean to insinuate that they were bribed - bad choice of words on my part. I meant that if you are a distributor, and 99% of your income comes from BMC then you aren't going to care if craft beer makes it on to your trucks.

I can get decent beer where I live, but I have to go to a beer store or bottle shop because most chain stores have thousands of other products to worry about, and therefore don't pay too much attention to complaints about their beer selection. However, when I go to the guy at my local beer store and ask for a beer he usually orders it within a week.

I wasn't trying to get into a debate with you. I just had a problem with you saying it was his fault because of where he lives. It's a little weird to assume that someone would completey uproot their lives and move to CA for a better selection of beer.

bottlebomber said:
I'd love to sit here and indulge myself in debating with you guys your conspiracy theory that the only reason your grocers don't carry a stunning array of craft beer is because the distributors are bribed... I'm not totally sure its allowed here. We have a special forum here for that which actual paid members can participate in.

The truth of the matter is that the grocers are there to support the habits of whatever socio-demographic they are situated in. I'm willing to bet if you can't get great beer there are a lot of other things you can't get as well. Believe me, if there was a real thirst for this beer that you are complaining you can't get, it would be there. The grocers aren't tied up in BMC bribery rings, they are there to support the needs of the customer. If it was any other way, the customers would be flocking to the one store that sold the good beer. I have ruled out the possibility that your local grocery chains are run like Sicilian crime families, if this is the case please correct me.

At risk of getting blocked (because I'm picking up on the fact that fully participating in a conversation and posting too much is a blockable offense here according to the moderator) I would like to clarify that you're correct about most LOCAL grocers. And despite the sometimes necessary higher prices, they are truly the best option. However I don't see much of a reason that we shouldn't have options at national chains as well. And the coercion is less like the Siscilian mobs and more like sleazy lobbyists and well paid lawyers the little guy can't afford. AB and the whole lot of them do in fact take legal steps to stifle the business of small breweries. I work in law firm and have seen motions filed by the boogie man himself. Check out some of the state and local regulations that cater specifically to macro lager companies. It's not a myth, and if saying so in a polite and respectful manner in this post gets me banned, then this forum wouldn't be worth a membership if it was 2 cents.

Pdeezy said:
I didn't mean to insinuate that they were bribed - bad choice of words on my part. I meant that if you are a distributor, and 99% of your income comes from BMC then you aren't going to care if craft beer makes it on to your trucks.

I can get decent beer where I live, but I have to go to a beer store or bottle shop because most chain stores have thousands of other products to worry about, and therefore don't pay too much attention to complaints about their beer selection. However, when I go to the guy at my local beer store and ask for a beer he usually orders it within a week.

I wasn't trying to get into a debate with you. I just had a problem with you saying it was his fault because of where he lives. It's a little weird to assume that someone would completey uproot their lives and move to CA for a better selection of beer.

well stated

Yeah it's a little too debatey...

There are things I can't get here as well. I am a serious shooting hobbyist, and yet I have extremely limited options when it comes to what firearms I can own. If this was top of my agenda, I'd move to Nevada or Arizona. It's not top of my agenda, and the benefits of living where I do greatly outweigh the cons, so I stay. But you won't catch me bitching about it on an online forum, that's for sure.

I have a brilliant idea. If Louisville isn't satisfied with his beer options, he can learn to brew his own.

bottlebomber said:
Yeah it's a little too debatey...

There are things I can't get here as well. I am a serious shooting hobbyist, and yet I have extremely limited options when it comes to what firearms I can own. If this was top of my agenda, I'd move to Nevada or Arizona. It's not top of my agenda, and the benefits of living where I do greatly outweigh the cons, so I stay. But you won't catch me bitching about it on an online forum, that's for sure.

I have a brilliant idea. If Louisville isn't satisfied with his beer options, he can learn to brew his own.

Chill out a little bit man, it seems like you're complaining that I 'bitched' on all of your responses. I'm trying to have an adult conversation about it but oh well, I'm dropping it because that doesn't seem possible.
And I do brew my own beer, although my beers aren't quite as good yet as some of my favorite craft options. I'm working towards it.

As are we all. I'm kinda lucky these days,as giant eagle & a couple other places are carrying more craft beer,& getting more here & there. Not cheap,however. But dang it's nice to have some options when I can afford it. If not for this sort of beer Renaissance,My choice of home brew recipes might well be narrower.
But you know what? We've been getting tight on cash lately,what with trying to make sure I keep the money for the body shop ready. So we got some cheap lager/pilsner to go with some vodka (the airlocks can bloody wait). Went down easy...kind of a nice change once in a while.
Not just for red necks anymore. :D
Got me to remembering a lady friend at work that collects things. She showed me her "trailer trash" Barbie,& "biker Ken" dolls. That was a hoot. All they needed was some little empty BMC cans to toss around Barbie's trailer. The Barbie vette up on lil cinder blocks...

LouisvilleBrews said:
Chill out a little bit man, it seems like you're complaining that I 'bitched' on all of your responses. I'm trying to have an adult conversation about it but oh well, I'm dropping it because that doesn't seem possible.
And I do brew my own beer, although my beers aren't quite as good yet as some of my favorite craft options. I'm working towards it.

If you were having an adult conversation, the mods wouldn't be having to clean up after your insulting comments. And if you were having a conversation at all, instead of just a monologue, there would be some kind of discussion to be had. I think it actually has potential to be a pretty interesting discussion.

If you want to brew better beer then this is an excellent community to be a part of. But like any community (and people get pretty thick with each other around here) you can't just show up willy nilly as the new guy and start pissing fire about BMC beer and those who drink them.

Monologue over.

*sorry about this Yooper, I really try to not engage in this stuff but the flesh is weak*

Can't wait to try this!

Associated Press said:
ST. LOUIS — Anheuser-Busch is coming out with a sweeter, more alcoholic version of Bud Light as it tries to build on the popularity of one of its top beers.

Bud Light Platinum will have a slightly sweeter taste, 6 percent alcohol by volume and come in a cobalt blue bottle. The brewer said Thursday that the new product will hit shelves in late January.

A number of major brewers are struggling with softer beer sales in the U.S. as the economy has hurt consumer spending. Parent company Anheuser-Busch InBev reported Wednesday that its profit was up despite selling less beer around the world. However, Bud Light has beat the trend and continues to grow in popularity. The company said the new brew is a more upscale option for drinkers of light beer.

bottlebomber said:
If you were having an adult conversation, the mods wouldn't be having to clean up after your insulting comments. And if you were having a conversation at all, instead of just a monologue, there would be some kind of discussion to be had. I think it actually has potential to be a pretty interesting discussion.

If you want to brew better beer then this is an excellent community to be a part of. But like any community (and people get pretty thick with each other around here) you can't just show up willy nilly as the new guy and start pissing fire about BMC beer and those who drink them.

Monologue over.

*sorry about this Yooper, I really try to not engage in this stuff but the flesh is weak*

wow, did you even read my last long post? I even acknowledged a good point of yours. you're being absurd and overly aggressive. I won't post on this thread anymore so that you won't have to keep getting all worked up that I 'bitched' about BMC. Dang you win.

wow, did you even read my last long post? I even acknowledged a good point of yours. you're being absurd and overly aggressive. I won't post on this thread anymore so that you won't have to keep getting all worked up that I 'bitched' about BMC. Dang you win.

Jeez mods, kick this guy out already.

Interesting, I saw this thread... clicked in, and see it goes back aways but is still being argued.

I'm not looking to argue in any way about anything but felt from the last few posts I read to say a few small things:

1. BMC type beers need to exist just as the dollar menu from BK and McDonalds needs to exist. Not everyone can afford $2-3 for a 12oz craft brew.
2. If you don't like it don't drink it and ignore it.
3. Brew your own and educate people as to how much better beers can be.
4. If you honestly believe, since I've read people call it a conspiracy theory, that BMC's don't "push" the local stores for shelf and display space using tactics (be it threating to pull the brand or bribing with special deals, favors, and custom advertising with the store name) then you are half baked! It IS real, it's a fact and it's strategic marketing on their behalf because they have the power to pressure the small store owners. At the local craphole liquor store near me their entire counter is covered in a custom "Irv's Liquor Bud Light" advertisement. The owner was either paid or given a great deal that still benefits them monetarily to display that. They don't do it for their love of Bud.
5. BMC advertises like crazy because they make tons selling cheap beer and that is why they have the money to do so. And as we know, people are generally more prone to buy on brand recognition. Most people won't be first to choose Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat or La Fin Du Monde as opposed to "Budweizer - the king of beers". It's sad but true.

Why is this whole thing even an argument? Some craft beers still make a ton of money and we're lucky to live in age where it's becoming "trendy" - I hate that word but it gets our craft out there - and more desirable to have craft brews in pubs. People are opening their eyes and getting tired of the same old crap.

Rev.

LouisvilleBrews said:
my initial post insulted AB-Inbev, but I wouldn't think that would be offensive. And I indeed added to the content of the thread. These same issues were already being discussed. I have been much more respectful than the 'regulars' or 'non-noobs' have been to me. I am not the one name calling here, sir.

Anyone else catch the fact that Louisville called Yooper sir? Yikes!

Also, does anyone else think that maybe Dilligans just created an alter-ego and is now using it to post these crazy comments?

It's been a while since I've between on the forums (busy at work), but I couldn't believe this thread was still going. I assumed it died a month ago...

LouisvilleBrews said:
good points. I was wondering about the seriousness of that as well.

LouisvilleBrews said:
well stated
:eek:
gcdowd said:
Also, does anyone else think that maybe Dilligans just created an alter-ego and is now using it to post these crazy comments?
I was thinking louisville was pdeezys alter ego. Its either that or he has a serious butt kissing problem...

Back