iodine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
i acquired a large bottle of iodine to sterilize my equipment with, however i just found out one of the guys i brew with is allergic to the stuff. Will this matter? if i wash the stuff with it, then clean it with an iodine solution then rinse, will there be any risk? thanks, S

Chia, there are two distinct steps you need to use: 1) clean and 2) sanitize. You don't want to rinse after sanitizing, because then it will no longer be sanitized.

Rather than the iodine, you can sanitize with a product called Star San. Do a search and you'll find many threads on it.

Cheers!

I have recently come to find out that the regualr iodine you find in the store is NOT good to injest in any way due to some nasty chemicals that are in it. The only one they say you could take internally would be pharmacutical grade which is 35% and its not that readily available in stores....you would most likely have to order it.

-Walter

Back