lost in my fermentation. need some guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithturbo

Reaction score
ive had a sweet stout in the fermenter 11 days now. the reason im lost is the OG should have been 1.058. after the 60 minute boil and chill it was actually 1.075. i wanted to see what would happen if i didnt add water to reach 5 gallons. now 11 days after the sg is 1.021. i was thinking it was going to be in the fermenter for at least thirty days. but now i dont know when would be the best time to bottle. please let me know your thoughts. thanks

It's only been 11 days. Leave it for at least two more weeks before checking it. If the gravity doesn't drop, check back. It may not drop much if this was an extract brew. The extra time will allow the yeast to complete their work.

Patience.

oh sorry i forgot to say it was an all grain brew. according to my recipe the FG should be around 1.020. but would the FG still be the same if your OG was really high?

Back