Brown Ale in 10-14 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
I have a Brown Ale going from a Papazian recipe (Elbro Nerkte). He says it can be done in 10-14 days, bottled in 5-6 days.
Mine is going into the 6th day and has stopped bubbling. I'm thinking of bottling tomorrow to see how it comes out and opening the first bottle in a week from now.
Has anybody tried this reciipe and/or bottled and drank on a fast track like this? (recipe on p195 of "The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing)

It will be beer, there's no question about that, but if you are in that much of a hurry, perhaps you should go out and buy some brown ale while you are waiting for yours to be finished. If you insist on going through the express lane, your results will depend in large part on how good a brewer you are-- especially in the area of sanitation. Many a slightly off-tasting beer has turned out to be excellent with a month or two of aging.

Bleeeech! I'm not terribly dogmatic, but this one I won't accept. I've kegged almost from the beginning & believe in sampling to track the process, so I've tasted many brews at 2 weeks. Browns can be ready in 4 weeks, maybe, if the starting gravity is low.

Meh . . . it can be done. In fact, a few months ago BYO ran an article called Speed Brewing. It gave recipes and tips for how to get beers from brewday to glass in about 2 weeks.

Here are my suggestions with the project:

1. Do a lower gravity ale, something 4% or less. This will age more quickly.
2. Use a quick and highly flocculant yeast strain with a great big starter. I have used Nottingham for quick brews. Once, I pitched on a yeast cake of Nottingham yeast, and the beer fermented out in jsut over 24 hours. It was clear in about 3 or 4 days.
3. Drink it young, . . . but it will still benefit from age.
4. Force carbing ill reduce time even more.

Back