IPA dry hop recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReeseAllen

Reaction score
I brewed a new IPA today...just sort of winged it and came up with the grain bill on the spot at the LHBS based on what I could remember of some of the successful IPA recipes I've brewed over the last six months. For the hop additions, I have had a lot of small bags of hops floating around in my fridge for months with 1 oz or less left in them, so I decided to use them all up and see what comes out of it.

14 lb 2-row
1 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 80

2 oz Columbus (? %) @ 60 min
1 oz Mt. Hood (6.7%) @ 30 min
1 oz Simcoe (12.9%) @ 15 min
0.25 oz Warrior (16.7%) @ 5 min
0.75 oz Hallertau (7.3%) @ 5 min

60 min mash @ 152 F and 1.25 qt/gal, double batch sparge Bobby_M-style

Additions: 1 tsp Irish moss @ 15 min

2 packets of Nottingham, hydrated, no starter

OG: 1.066 -- Really bad efficiency . Less than 50%, and I usually get about 70%. No idea why.

All I have left in my fridge is a bit of Mt. Hood and a ton of Columbus. I don't like the aroma/flavor of Columbus hops -- Bridgeport's new Hop Czar IPA is a great example of a Columbus-like aroma/flavor that I just don't care for -- but I got about two pounds for free, so I decided to use them for bittering.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should dry hop with. I'm thinking maybe Amarillo, Cascade, or Centennial. I would like to use something not already on the hop schedule so I can have six kinds of hops in my recipe -- then I can call it the Six-Hop IPA.

Amarillo is a great dry-hop (I just did an IPA with Amarillo/Simcoe/Columbus that turned out great.) I'd be pretty heavy handed with the dry hop since you didn't use much in the way of hops near the end of the boil.

I'd do the Amarillo/Centennial myself. I just did an IPA yesterday and winged it like you. Called mine the six seas IPA. Going to be dry hopping that with Cascade and Citra.
Tom

You could some of each and call it Eight-fold Way IPA. Best IPA I've made used seven leftover hops, 1/4-3/4 oz each.

The fermentation is quite vigorous.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/reeseallen?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/0/XIFlS72G6Mc[/ame]

Back