Height for ball valve on new keg conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonPo

Reaction score
Hello,

I am newb to the forum, so I apologize if this question is covered elsewhere. I am in the process of graduating out of my wife's kitchen with my rinky dink homebrew setup and am compiling gear for a 3-keg, single tier setup (thanks to BobbyM for the vids and design concept).

I am interested on thoughts regarding optimum placement (height-wise on the keg) of the ball valve for keggle. For the thermometer and sight-glass, that seems pretty straight-forward.

For the HLT, it would seem to me I'd want it as low as possible. For the mash tun and boil kettle I would venture to say I'd want to install the valve to match up to the dip tube such that the tube sits as close to the bottom of the keg as possible.

Again, if this has already been covered, please point me in the right direction. I just want to be extra sure since it took me awhile to procure the three kegs.

Thanks again for the help. I look forward to sharing pics of the project.

Are you going with weldless hardware, or are you welding it in. I'm in the same phase of construction and am awaiting my valves to be welded.

If you're going weldless, make sure you get the valve high enough above the curved bottom so your washer doesn't interfere.

There's a good video on keg conversion on you tube that walks through it pretty well. good luck

As said above if you put a weldless fitting in you need to allow room for clearance of the inside fitting against the bottom of the kettle.

For kegs you need to be sure to be above the weld so it seats properly and then use a dip tube to drain down to whatever level you want.

I'm going weldless. The only guy I know with a welder isn't setup for SS welding. Thanks for the input. It's appreciated.

Latest posts

Back