need help with designing an MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I would like to start doing all grain and want to build an MLT. I think I have all the right pieces sitting around. We have an extra 48 qt cooler and I have found a bunch of 1/2 copper pipe, Ts and elbows.

Is a 48Qt big enough to do 10 Gal batches?

Will it work as well for 5 gallons, any disadvantage to doing smaller batches in it?

Would 1/2" copper be a good way to make the bottom or do I need 3/4" or PVC?

Any links to designs would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am in the process of doing the same. I posted in the DIY Forum. Take a look at this link.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/
It shows easy conversion of a cooler, as far as pieces for a ball valve.
For the manifold, it suggests a braided supply hose. You can use copper or CPVC, but don't use pvc.

EDIT: the link is from FlyGuy, and if you look on the HBT Wiki, they show different manifolds.

Thanks Dave,
I always figured on a 10 gal cooler setup, but just realized I have one too many rectangular coolers and the copper pipe to make a square one. If the 1/2" copper works I should be in the $5 range for total cost. Just wondering if 48 qt is big enough or should I go bigger. I would like to do 10 gallon batches eventually. I also like to make big beers but would probably doing 5 gal batches for the strong stuff.

As far as size, Bobby m has a great chart on sizing the MLT I found today, I am on my phone so I can't find the link right now. I don't remember if it was a sticky or not. If you search for what size mlt you should find it.
Good luck.

Depends on what you brew. Great for 5, but a little small for 10. I brew 12.5 gallon batches and my 100qt is not large enough for a lot of my beers. going 150qt. :D

Depends on what you brew. Great for 5, but a little small for 10. I brew 12.5 gallon batches and my 100qt is not large enough for a lot of my beers. going 150qt. :D

Thanks for the info and the chart helped also. Probably will start with 5 gal batches. I got about 5 carboys and kegs. 10 gallons is probably more than I will do anytime soon. I will make this 48 qt MLT. Will the copper be okay or should I use PVC?

Back