How much yeast to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Stout that calls for 14 grams of yeast.

Would you just pitch the entire two 11 gram packs or would you just go one and a half packets?

Will it make any difference???

Just pitch both of them.

It'll taste great!

edit:

I should add... You could probably get away with one pack, but with a stout and other stronger ales you are better off not skimping. If you were doing a mild (1.035ish OG)one pack would be fine.

Obviously designed for Muntons, which is mostly packaged in 7 gm packets. I'd just pitch one 11 gm packet, if I was doing it. The difference between 11 and 14 grams is less than two hours growth.

Obviously designed for Muntons, which is mostly packaged in 7 gm packets. I'd just pitch one 11 gm packet, if I was doing it. The difference between 11 and 14 grams is less than two hours growth.

No I don't think it was designed around Muntons yeast packets. It's a Jamil recipe. Many of them say 10 grams, 12 grams, 13 grams.

So just one huh??

Jamil likes to calculate an optimum amount. Rounding up or down to the nearest packet works just fine, most dry yeast comes in 7 or 11 gm packets and sealing partial packets is (IMO) not worth the bother. One will do it.

I'm almost with david_42, but since the cost of an extra packet of dry yeast is so small, why risk it?

Yeah, david_42 is probably right, and yeah, if you follow his advice your beer will almost certainly turn out just fine, but again, why risk it? Would you rather spend an extra $2-$3 and have peace of mind, or save that money and wonder?

It's a judgment call, and my judgment would say to overpitch a little rather than underpitching.

Let us know what you decide and the result.

I'm almost with david_42, but since the cost of an extra packet of dry yeast is so small, why risk it?

Yeah, david_42 is probably right, and yeah, if you follow his advice your beer will almost certainly turn out just fine, but again, why risk it? Would you rather spend an extra $2-$3 and have peace of mind, or save that money and wonder?

It's a judgment call, and my judgment would say to overpitch a little rather than underpitching.

Let us know what you decide and the result.

Agreed. I'm going to overpitch a little. david_42, I see your point and I appreciate your suggestion but I'm a worrier.:)

Back