March pump question - need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can reverse the impeller head assembly in order to change the flow path into the pump? I needed to switch the flow so I took pulled the pump off the motor and reversed it. Now that I'm leak testing my single tier and my pump i didn't monkey with works perfectly, I'm thinking this is the case. Do I also need to reverse the polarity? Can I actually do that with a march pump?

Appreciate anyone's advice.

Does anyone know if I can reverse the impeller head assembly in order to change the flow path into the pump? I needed to switch the flow so I took pulled the pump off the motor and reversed it. Now that I'm leak testing my single tier and my pump i didn't monkey with works perfectly, I'm thinking this is the case. Do I also need to reverse the polarity? Can I actually do that with a march pump?

Appreciate anyone's advice.

The impeller head actually runs off the magnet that is powered by the motor so there is no way to "Modify" the head. I have one and have only started using it but it is my impression that the ONLY way to reverse the flow direction is to have the motor reverse it's run direction. Not sure if reversing the hot and neutral wires will do that.

The head will turn at 90* increments and allow the direction to be changed that way but doing that every time during a brew would be a PITA not to mention cause long-term unwanted damage to the pump and head assembly. I would get a second pump and have the heads turned opposite to each other and go with that.

I don't you can reverse the pump by swapping the Hot and Neutral wires. I think the only way he can achieve what he wants to do is by physically reversing the pump position to opposite of the position he has it now..

Are you needing to just rotate the head 180 degrees?

I need to rotate mine 180 degrees since I remounted it. In this photo my MT is on the right and BK on the left. However, the inlet is on the left. I need it on the right so my hoses aren't having to do a Loop-D-Loop if you know what I mean.

I believe on many motors you can reverse the wires that go to the motor windings. I KNOW for damn sure that your warranty on the pump will be VOID if you do so. Taking apart the motor looks to be a pain as I considered it for a brief second when I wanted to add a longer cord.

If your pump looks like Yambor44's, I'm pretty sure reversing the motor direction won't do you any good. I said "pretty sure" because there's always an exception but, all of the impellers (no matter what the pump body looks like) that I've seen are designed to pull liquid one way. If you reverse the direction of the pump, they won't pump at all. Give us a little more info/photos and maybe we can scheme something up. Luck - Dwain

Some pumps will run in reverse, but i do not think a march pump will. pumps like diaphram, and peristatic pumps tipically do, but i dont think a centrifugal will..

+1 to switching the hoses... get some quick disconnects (QDs)

If you actually take the pump head apart, like for cleaning, you will see that the interior is specifically designed to have the fluid flow in ONE direction.

Switching the in and out hoses is the best way to achieve your wishes. I would seriously consider getting another pump to change the flow you are looking for.

Switching the leads on the pump motor will not change it's rotation and it may not turn at all with the leads reversed. Additionally, these centrifugal pumps will only operate turning in one direction. Neither the motor nor the pump are reversible. There is one option that you could use to change the location of the inlet/outlet and that would be to mount the pump vertically. The head down orientation would have the inlet/outlet pointed in opposite directions from a head up position.

Are you needing to just rotate the head 180 degrees?

I need to rotate mine 180 degrees since I remounted it. In this photo my MT is on the right and BK on the left. However, the inlet is on the left. I need it on the right so my hoses aren't having to do a Loop-D-Loop if you know what I mean.

Just a suggestion but March Mag drive pumps have two oil galleys on top of the motor and work best in the Horz. position. Or you could remove oil run and remount.

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I can at least share that you cannot take the polysulphone head of the pump and reverse it. I did however come up with a solution to the pump issue. I'm going to mount it like Yambor44's with the head assembly on as it came from the factory. Priming is better and positioning the pump works.

Thanks again for your help!

Back