Frozen concentrate - back sweeten - boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czukowski

Reaction score
Hopefully this is an easy question. But I am about to use frozen concentrate to back sweeten a cider I've had conditioning for a few months now and wanted to know if I should boil or heat the concentrate before adding to the cider?

-Chris

No, just let it thaw in the container, add it to your carboy(sanitized of course) and then rack your brew on top of it.

NEVER BOIL your juice. (pasturized or no)

It can be assumed that pasturized bottled juice and frozen concentrates are devoid of microbes enough to be brought to room temp and used as is.

with unpasturized products and fresh fruits, you will do well to treat with Campden as per the standard directions prior to adding to your must.

you may - (if you intend to disolve solids into it) WARM up a bit of the juice to facilitate disolving sugars, DME, etc. but never let it boil.

I never boil juice, nor do I use pectic enzyme, and my Apfelweins are always crystal clear if allowed to settle out adaquately

Back