Trimmed bines at the end of season, but now what? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Trimmed bines at the end of season, but now what?

Old 01-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
pshankstar
BIAB Newbie (1 yr)
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2015
Canandaigua, NY
Liked 133 Times on 113 Posts

I planted some Centennial and Chinook rhizomes last year. They did good, I just let them grow and get established so I didn't trim any of the bine during the growing season. They all produced some tiny cones, but nothing worth harvesting (which I knew for first year growth).

Now in the fall before the winter, I trimmed the bines back to about 6-10 inches tall. Now what do I do next? Should I cut them back to the ground now? Wait till it starts to warm up and trim them back to the ground then? Just leave them be? I guess I should have asked these questions months ago... Oops!

I'm located in Western NY in the Finger Lakes region so winter is in full swing right now. This spring when they start to grow, I'll trim them so the rhizomes have two bines each to focus its growth on and hopefully get some cones with harvesting this year.

Thanks in advance!

“Beer, it’s the best damn drink in the world.”
~Jack Nicholson

Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
friarsmith
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2016
Indianapolis, Indiana
Liked 71 Times on 61 Posts

Snip the plants closer to ground level and cover the crown & surrounding area (24" diameter circle or so) with a couple of inches of composted manure.

Rotted manure should be ok because it's cold enough in your area for winter pests/diseases to not be a concern. If you were in the SE or SW, not so much.

If you don't have easy access to the fresh stuff (try Craigslist), the bagged Black Cow stuff at Lowes/HD will work just fine.
Fermenting: NHC-Bound American Lager, German Pils, Munich Helles
Next Up: Belgian Golden Strong & Maibock
Cellaring: Barleywines & RIS

pshankstar Likes This 
Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
pshankstar
BIAB Newbie (1 yr)
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2015
Canandaigua, NY
Liked 133 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarsmith View Post
Snip the plants closer to ground level and cover the crown & surrounding area (24" diameter circle or so) with a couple of inches of composted manure.

Rotted manure should be ok because it's cold enough in your area for winter pests/diseases to not be a concern. If you were in the SE or SW, not so much.

If you don't have easy access to the fresh stuff (try Craigslist), the bagged Black Cow stuff at Lowes/HD will work just fine.
Thanks for the information! So it is safe to trim them down to the ground this week?

“Beer, it’s the best damn drink in the world.”
~Jack Nicholson

Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
friarsmith
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2016
Indianapolis, Indiana
Liked 71 Times on 61 Posts

Yep
Fermenting: NHC-Bound American Lager, German Pils, Munich Helles
Next Up: Belgian Golden Strong & Maibock
Cellaring: Barleywines & RIS

Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
Sbe2
Recipes 

Jan 2017
Batavia, NY
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I am in WNY myself, and cut mine to ground level after the second hard frost of the year. It is my fourth year with my hops and I cannot wait until the spring.

I highly recommend looking at the 2016 growers notes from Great Lakes Hops. My mind was blown reading it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B7aNkuU_q8iEREdBMkxWcFI2THM?usp=sharing&ddrp=1

They recommend not to spread fertilizer directly on top of the crown as it encourages mold and disease growth.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
brewcat
Recipes 

May 2015
Liked 160 Times on 136 Posts

Just throw a couple inches of garden soil over the crown to help protect against freeze-thaw. I've also taken to doing a potash application to help protect in winter.

What I did this fall was hill my rows and a potash application. We will see come spring...

I also still haven't got around to cutting down the bines.