Holy Carboy Batman!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
So as I was about to order two 5g Better Bottles tonight SWMBO aka Pregzilla demanded I go to Walmart for some juice. When I was getting her fav kind, I saw them stocking a pallet of brand new, empty water jugs on the racks.

Out of curiosity I went and had a look.....you guessed it, made by Better Bottle!! I couldn't believe it. A quick price check, $5.99 each.

I bought six, came straight home and ordered up six caps and airlocks, and a bunch of yeast. Apfelwein here I come!!

Man I'm glad I went to Walmart.

I'll take one tomorrow if I remember. It's labeled as a generic, no company specific bottle but specifies PTE. On the bottom is the stamping with the #1, as well as a stamp stating the bottle is made by Better Bottle.

... d@mn I saw these and passed them by.... but I will check the bottom of the bottle locally tonight and get a pic

I've been saying it for years on here, that you are going to be seeing this more and more....

This is one of the benefits of the Bisophenal A ban that has been happening over the last few years, we are seeing a switch from <7> plastics now to <1> and <2> made of pete, which is a great boon for us. And puts to rest most of the old school arguments against using them aside.

And many of these "new" waterbottles are actually made by the Better Bottle Company. Some advertise the fact as part of their marketing, and interestingly enough some of the water/betterbottles have accidently ended up in homebrew shops. They are labeled "for water only" and "not for reuse" BUT when the hbt member who got one of these contacted them, they were told that they HAVE to stamp them as such, BUT they are perfectly fine and exactly the same as their regular better bottles.

That's been why for years, when someone repeats the old "chestnut" that says you absolutely can't use waterbottles for fermenters because of blahblahblahaoxygenpermeabilityleachingofchemicalsorwhatverI'veheard, and I try to tell them it's not as cut and dried anymore these days.

I've been saying it for years on here, that you are going to be seeing this more and more....

This is one of the benefits of the Bisophenal A ban that has been happening over the last few years, we are seeing a switch from <7> plastics now to <1> and <2> made of pete, which is a great boon for us. And puts to rest most of the old school arguments against using them aside.

And many of these "new" waterbottles are actually made by the Better Bottle Company. Some advertise the fact as part of their marketing, and interestingly enough some of the water/betterbottles have accidently ended up in homebrew shops. They are labeled "for water only" and "not for reuse" BUT when the hbt member who got one of these contacted them, they were told that they HAVE to stamp them as such, BUT they are perfectly fine and exactly the same as their regular better bottles.

That's been why for years, when someone repeats the old "chestnut" that says you absolutely can't use waterbottles for fermenters because of blahblahblahaoxygenpermeabilityleachingofchemicalsorwhatverI'veheard, and I try to tell them it's not as cut and dried anymore these days.

Yea I have been lurking here for a while, and I set out convinced they could be used. You were one of the key sources of information confirming it.

are these on their website?

Nope. I had looked all over to see if they even carried something like that to no avail. Then I practically tripped over them when buying juice. They are placed on the shelf in brand new condition (possibly having been deposits previously, but either way they are fresh from BB) with a seal around the lid. You can buy them empty for $5.99 or open and fill them with water.

Now make sure to check the bottles, not every walmart carries the same thing. Thats why I bought six at once, because next week they might be gone never to return. Who knows.

Oh and FYI, they smell when you first open them, as I expected. But I was able to clean and sterilize them with no more odor. Soon as fedex comes this week they will smell like brewing.

no, I could not find them anywhere... I wonder if their custom funnel fits these as well.... they better not take them off the shelf.. I plan on buying six or so next month.

Did the walmart ones have a built in handle??? I believe the ones I saw locally did have a built in handle like these on the walmart store website

Here is a link the the better bottle master brochure : BetterBottle (Better-Bottle) Fermentation Products – BetterBottle PET Carboys make ideal fermenters for home winemaking and home brewing
Walmart.com: 5-Gal Plastic Water Bottle: Kitchen & Dining

Did the walmart ones have a built in handle???

Yes they do. They are made for the water market, so not having a handle wouldn't be too smart.

Nukinfuts29 did the ones you purchased have a screw cap?

They have a screw cap, it is sealed on with the type of plastic wrapper medicine often has. Once you tear that off you can just unscrew the cap.

5-gallon jugs?

Yes.

Again these are 5 Gallon water jugs, manufactured by Better Bottle. Like Revvy said, most of these bottles are made by BB anymore.

If they're screw top you won't need a carboy cap...just go get a rubber grommet, drill a hole in the center of the screwtop cap and pop the grommet in the hole and add an airlock.

I think I have pics of that somewhere.

Yeah look at what I did to the 3 gallon jug in the foreground. That's the standard screwtop cap that came with it. Number 6 and number 4 both.

fermentation_closet.jpg

If they're screw top you won't need a carboy cap...just go get a rubber grommet, drill a hole in the center of the screwtop cap and pop the grommet in the hole and add an airlock.

I think I have pics of that somewhere.

The order was already placed, so I may as well let it ride. The screw cap seems pretty cheesey to be honest, and I could see it leaking. I wouldn't trust it with anything more then keeping dust and bugs out when not in use.

Will the carboy cap still fit on there?

Hmm they look like the same caps, I'll have another look at it maybe it was on wrong.

Just realized you are near "the d". I left GR a year ago, ran a bail bond company there for a few years for my buddy. Spent too much time in Detroit. One of the new Beavis and Butt-heads shows some music video by T-Baby that is AWFUL...ly funny lol. "It's so cold in the D"

I would just prefer (read: ocd) it if there were no leaks. If the carboy cap doesn't give a nice tight seal, or fit at all, I will experiment with the cap.

I'll try and hit the super Walmart and the Walmart Market this weekend to check out the bottles they have in stock. Last check about a year ago had #7s and #3s (3 gallon bottles where #3) but they had the same screw cap.

SWMBO gave me permission (ugh) to buy four more "while they have them" because she knows if i don't, I will buy more at $25 a pop later.

Every one of mine are going to Apfelwein right now. Two will be the classic Ed recipe (except with Nottingham) and the other four will be me experimenting with it.

Good night, look at that! Thanks for the info, I just looked at the jugs my brew water came in, they're 3 gallon PETE! SWMBO was about to get rid of 4 of them this morning on her way to work. Can't wait to find some more things to brew in 3 gallon batches.....

Nope not here where I am.. but I have 2 other super walmarts and a regular one to check first...

Mine were in water section and were as described, but on bottom it was a #3 and hecho en mexico.... made in mexico bottle.... so no go...

They stock Primo Water here in the front of store...

Can we get a pic of the bottles you got and what the packaging looks like????

Sure. The labels were black (I pulled them off, got to finish cleaning off the paper backing) with yellow designs of some sort. I think Walmart chooses suppliers based on cost and location, so it may not all be the same.

Both of these bottles are PTE, #1, Better Bottle manufactured. I took a picture of two so I could rotate one to show the handle. They are pretty standard in appearance, very easy to see through.

Honestly not to start the obvious, over done debates, but if it's free of the bio phosphates or whatever it was, I would say go ahead and use them. Personal preference, but the way I see it these are plastic fermenter's not heated 'shine stills so it's not the big deal everyone makes it out to be.

2011-11-20 00.53.03.jpg

Oh and I had the cap on wrong, with the cap on and snug it is absolutely a tight enough seal to just drill and grommet the bottle's stock cap for the airlock. That said I already ordered my two way caps, so if they fit I will use these stock ones for storage and cleaning.

Re: suckback, plastic bottles have a lot of suckback potential if you have to move them around, since they flex (glass doesn't), which changes the volume. For instance, if you have to move it from floor to table to rack. But as said before, using sanitizer or alcohol in your airlock is fine.

The two chambered airlocks will allow air to travel either direction without letting water escape if the they are not overfilled. I haven't bought any of the 3 piece airlocks to see how they work, but surely they have a similar way of allowing a reverse airflow without sucking liquid inside. You can feel free to correct me on that.

With the airlocks I have been using, I just don't see the concern for suckback that people talk about on here. How do people get suckback?

Checked two Walmarts, Sams Club and a Publix. Neither Walmart had bottles, empty or full above 2.5Gallons fridge jugs. Sams Club had #7s and Publix had #7s. Going to check one more Walmart during the week.

Back