Negative Effects from Burnt LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
As I was cleaning up from this debacle I noticed areas where something (I assume to be LME) had burnt onto the bottom of the pot. Is this going to carry over into the taste of the beer?

Uh.....I'm saying if it works for carmellized drip catchers on the stove, it will probably work inside the pot as well. :rolleyes:

I use it *IN* my pots all the time...

OK, I'm not concerned about cleaning the pot, either.
As my original post said, "Is this going to carry over into the taste of the beer?"

Uh.....I'm saying if it works for carmellized drip catchers on the stove, it will probably work inside the pot as well. :rolleyes:

I use it *IN* my pots all the time...

I think he's more concerned about the batch in which he burned the LME, not the pot or future batches.

I'm guessing yes...if you scorched your LME, you will probably taste it in your beer. As with most bad flavors, it will probably mellow somewhat with age.

Taste your next hydrometer sample.

As I was cleaning up from this debacle I noticed areas where something (I assume to be LME) had burnt onto the bottom of the pot. Is this going to carry over into the taste of the beer?

If it's sticking to the bottom INSIDE of your pot, then yes, it will, in theory (really depends on how much there is). All your equipment, should always be clean, all of the time.

I think what Revvy is trying to say is that you should clean your pot thoroughly :)

In my experience this can be avoided by:

- bringing your pot to boil and then turning down the burner so you achieve a "rolling boil" but not at 100% of the output of your burner. Sometimes it comes down to the quality of the pot.

- slowly adding your DME and stirring constantly so it doesn't "clump" on the bottom and burn / caramelize.

Cheers,
Awfers

The above technique works well for DME. However, LME sinks like a rock when you put in a boiler, and the only way I was ever able to avoid scorching was to take the kettle completely off the heat (like take it off the stove burners, or turn the propane burner off and wait a couple of minutes), add the LME, stir like crazy, stir some more, and then slowly bring it back up to a boil.

If it's sticking to the bottom INSIDE of your pot, then yes, it will, in theory (really depends on how much there is). All your equipment, should always be clean, all of the time.

I think what Revvy is trying to say is that you should clean your pot thoroughly :)

I did. This happened during the batch. Its not like I had unclean stuff I was trying to boil in. I know I'm a n00b and all, but really now :rolleyes:

When I was stovetop brewing with electric stove and extract, I alway got a little scorch on the pot no matter what I did. It not cause any off flavors in the beer.

(tip from my mother in law.. pour some white vinager in the pot and boil that and the scorch stuff will come off pretty easy)

I did. This happened during the batch. Its not like I had unclean stuff I was trying to boil in. I know I'm a n00b and all, but really now :rolleyes:

Well, does the wort have a burnt taste to it? If it does, you'll probably be able to taste it in the beer. If it doesn't, you probably won't. If you'll taste it, you'll know.

In most cases, if the wort is scorched, you get a scorched taste in your wort. It might be slight, though.

No one is trying to talk to you like you are stupid- they are trying to be helpful. Try to remember that, please.

schneemann, revvy is only trying to give good advice, and you're being a dick about it. Sure, he didn't answer your question *precisely* (the answer is no, btw, it won't carry over to the beer, especially for an oktoberfest) but being a jerk to people trying to help you is no way to get help from others.

Well...maybe "jerk" is a little extreme. I can understand his frustration at being misunderstood. And he did put a little winking ;) guy in there.

Anyhow Schneeman, Yoop is right...if it tastes OK, you're good to go! If you do detect a burnt taste, I'd suggest aging it longer to see if it mellows. Above all, don't worry about it. :mug:

I'm not exactly sure what I did to be called a "dick" and a "jerk" when I was just responding to clarify an obvious misunderstanding.

I always had a little scorch marks in the bottom of my pot until my last batch - This time I added the LME very, very slowly and stirred vigorously the whole time. I haven't noticed a burnt taste in any of my beers yet, so I think you'll be ok.

FWIW, I'm going to have to take schneemann's side here. I reread the thread and I saw nothing that could be construed as being "dick" or "jerk" worthy. Everyone's always been very helpful to me the past couple months. If you stick around, I think you'll find the same thing. :mug:

I'm not exactly sure what I did to be called a "dick" and a "jerk" when I was just responding to clarify an obvious misunderstanding.

.... Most of us on HBT are drinking beer while posting. Look at the bottom of my signature. Know what I mean.... don't worry about it

.... Most of us on HBT are drinking beer while posting. Look at the bottom of my signature. Know what I mean.... don't worry about it

He he he he - that made me chuckle.

I was going to post something about my last batch and how I burned the hell outta the LME, there were leaf sized pieces floating around in there..then I read your signature line and forgot whatever it was I had to say.

Oh, right - it's a blond, still in the primary, and other than looking darker than I would have liked, it's doing well. As for taste, well, like a dweeb I tossed the OG reading before taking a sip, so on my next read I'll see what's up. Worst case it has a dark taste and I put it in a closet for a year to "mellow".

After 10 - that's farking funny right there :D

Back