Can you fill a NO2 tank w/ CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckrogers71

Reaction score
I have an NO2 tank (plus gas) left over from some bareknuckle stout. I was wondering once the NO2 was used up if I could refill the tank w/ CO2 and use it as a back up. Seems like it would be a shame to sell/ donate/ toss a perfectly good regulator and tank.

Thoughts suggestions etc?

I exchanged an NO2 tank for CO2 at Airgas...no problem.

If you can do that, they sell an adapter for your regulator to fit a CO2 thread.

Sorry I don't know the exact answer to your question though.

I exchanged an NO2 tank for CO2 at Airgas...no problem.

If you can do that, they sell an adapter for your regulator to fit a CO2 thread.

Sorry I don't know the exact answer to your question though.

If I can do that, that would be great. Wonder if there is an air gas by me?

You will have a pretty hard time getting a Nitrogen tank filled with CO2. The exchange deal is probably your only hope.

I'm fairly certain there is a different dip tube involved, so the fittings can be CO2 but it has to be dedicated to beer gas because of the diptube.

Thanks guys. I even tried to put the beers on the beer gas I had left, but the fittings dont match.

Soooooo, gotta go to the beer store and get some more CO2 and then take a trip to air gas to see if they will do an exchange and see if they sell the conversion fitting for my regulator

You used nitrogen dioxide to dispense a stout? That must have been interesting, seeing as it's toxic... :drunk:

Or did you perhaps mean N2, not NO2? :p

Back