Make your own LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckferrorists

Reaction score
Ever made your own LME to store and brew at a later date? What are the problems with this. It seems all that the extract manufacturers do is continue to boil until most of the water is removed. For recipes like Edwort's Haus Ale, it's all grain and I can't do it. I haven't found an extract version on the page so maybe someone could make unhopped wort and ship it to someone. Just an idea.

I understand that many hbs sell both LME and DME. You might give those a try. In fact, many of these supply houses will even ship you the premade LME. A small shipping and handling charge may apply. I like www.highgravityhomebrew.com They are very good folks there.

You should be able to convert the recipe to extract using the formulas listed in this site http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/extract.html. Order light DME and the specialty grains. Use a steeping bag for the specialty grains and heat to 155. Remove grain bag, add extract and boil.Add hops acording to schedule listed in recipe. Cool. Add Yeast. This technique can be used with many AG recipes to convert them to extract.

You should, however, concider all grain. It is really not hard and I argue you will get better beer.

and yes. I make a little extra wort(non-concentrated LME) from my all grain batches and pressure can it for making yeast starters. It can be done but I can't imagine canning several gallons. I have 9 pints in reserve now.

well of course i understand that you can buy lme, but i'm talking about making your own. However, I really appreciate the conversion link.

I would seriously consider investing in some brewing software. They can convert AG recipes to extract and vice versa. You might be able to do the same with online software, such as recipator, but I'm not sure.

thanks for the tip on the conversion software, but I really meant for this thread to be about making your own LME. Is it as simple as just continuing to boil down the wort till its a syrup or does it require certain care. I've never done AG but I can see how there could be some attributes to you can make a bunch of LME for future brews. I guess that the LME would store longer than grain would if you were to buy a bulk order.

the big houses make lme and dme via vacuum boiling. when pressure is dropped far enough water boils at room temp which prevents caramelization. this is what makes manufacture of your own extremely difficult.

They don't just boil it. They use a vacuum boiler. As it is boiling it has a vacuum to remove the steam fast. If you were just to boil for an extended amount of time then it would darken an caramalize. For my 2 pennies...it is generally better to get DME. It has a longer shelf life and tastes just as good.

eriktlupus said:
the big houses make lme and dme via vacuum boiling. when pressure is dropped far enough water boils at room temp which prevents caramelization. this is what makes manufacture of your own extremely difficult.

THAT! is what I'm looking for. Is there anyway for you to recreate that at home? pressure cooker? or really low heat?

LME is concentrated under a vacuum so that it does not scorch. Making it at home is not practical. I can't come up with a scenario where I'd rather brew with LME (homemade or not) than all grain.

Also, uncrushed grain will store for well over a year if it's kept clean and dry.

tuckferrorists said:
THAT! is what I'm looking for. Is there anyway for you to recreate that at home? pressure cooker? or really low heat?
So essentially, you want to master all-grain methods in order to produce LME...so you can do extract brewing?!?

I suppose it's possible. It surely isn't practical.

BTW, unmilled grain will keep a long time if it's properly stored.

Back