Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: Very first batch. It's the Mr. BEER American Ale. Was in the fermenter for 3 weeks and as been bottled for a week. Is it ready?

Since Christmas Eve is tomorrow was wondering if it would be ok to drink a bottle. Would like the majority of it to condition for another week or so.

Thanks.

Question: Very first batch. It's the Mr. BEER American Ale. Was in the fermenter for 3 weeks and as been bottled for a week. Is it ready?

Since Christmas Eve is tomorrow was wondering if it would be ok to drink a bottle. Would like the majority of it to condition for another week or so.

Thanks.
Welcome to brewing,:D

You should be okay, the beer may not be fully carbonated, but still taste okay. I'd let the rest of them set for another week.

I started with MrBeer almost two years ago. I moved to bottling in glass bottles some time ago and bottled a few plastic bottles, (empty brown root beer bottles), to check if they were carbing.
Squeezing those plastic bottles should let you know if it's carbonating.
:mug:

Merry Christmas

Welcome to brewing,:D

You should be okay, the beer may not be fully carbonated, but still taste okay. I'd let the rest of them set for another week.

I started with MrBeer almost two years ago. I moved to bottling in glass bottles some time ago and bottled a few plastic bottles, (empty brown root beer bottles), to check if they were carbing.
Squeezing those plastic bottles should let you know if it's carbonating.
:mug:

Merry Christmas
Thanks!!!

Also just brewed the Chinook IPA that came with the NB deluxe kit that my wife graduated me to.gonna keep the Mr beer fermenter on recomm3ndation of another forum member.

Wow this thread is 10 years old and still rolling. That's truly amazing. Anyway I'm a bit confused and could use a little help. I got a Mr. Beer kit for Xmas this year. It came with the Oktoberfest Lager. I have done a fair amount of reading on these forums over the years and I know the difference between an Ale and a Lager. There are no specific instructions for this kit, no mention of lagering in the refrigerator or anything like that. All I have is the generic print out instructions that come with the equipment. What should I do? I have a room in my house that is sufficiently chilly if you guys think that would be a good idea.

My first beer was called an Oktobeerfest. Temperature recommendations suggested that the beer was an Oktoberfest like ale. Does the kit actually say lager and recommend fermenting in the low 50 degree range. If not it may be an Oktobeerfest not an Oktoberfest.

My first beer was called an Oktobeerfest. Temperature recommendations suggested that the beer was an Oktoberfest like ale. Does the kit actually say lager and recommend fermenting in the low 50 degree range. If not it may be an Oktobeerfest not an Oktoberfest.

Yeah it says Oktoberfest on the can and Lager below it. Came with no instructions except the generic ones that come with the whole Mr. Beer kit, so I don't know what to do with it. I got a spare dorm refrigerator that would be fine for it. I guess I have at least a week to decide how I'm going to approach it since the LBK that came with my kit was defective. There was a big lip where the spigot goes thru the keg which cocked it at an angle. The seal couldn't compensate for that and it leaked. Their customer service took about 4 days to respond to my ticket, but once they did they were super helpful and quick to replace the defective part. I received a replacement order notification in my email a minute or so later and they're shipping 3 day priority so that's good of them!
I tried to shave down the lip with a cutting bit using a dremel and I did get the defective LBK to seal, but I read that scratches in the plastic can harbor bacteria. I did a hell of a lot more than just scratch it... so I guess I'll be waiting.

Last edited:
Well I got the new fermentor in yesterday and tested it out, no leaks! So I'm in business. Today (about 20 mins ago) I finished 'brewing' the Oktoberfest. I'm just going to follow the generic Mr. Beer instructions and treat it like an ale. I had a couple questions though. How do you guys get all of the malt extract out of the can? I got as much as I could. Spooned hot water in there and swished it around, but I still feel like you just can't get it all. The second thing is, after getting the wort dissolved in the water I moved the pot on the stove over a bit. Apparently I got it partially on the shut off burner. It didn't boil again or anything like that but it seems like it produced a little foam. Is that ok? I've watched videos where people add LME to rolling boils and it foams like crazy so I'm assuming I experienced the same thing and it will be fine. I went thru all the sanitizing procedures as best as I could, though they seem way over the top excessive to me. My last question for now is, where should I keep the little fermentor at while it's doing it's business? The most stable temperature room in the house is my bedroom. Is that cool? I've got it wrapped in towels so no light can get to it but I left the cap exposed so the C02 can escape.

Just started brewing again, I originally started with Mr.beer so it was easy to jump back in using what’s familiar. However, I also picked up the simply beer kit from midwestsupplies.

Currently I have Churchill’s nut brown ale fermenting (well it’s been a week and I think it’s done). Waiting for that first batch is difficult!

I also brewed my first 5 gallon batch a few days ago using the simply beer kit. Can’t wait to try them.

Cheers

Just started brewing again, I originally started with Mr.beer so it was easy to jump back in using what’s familiar. However, I also picked up the simply beer kit from midwestsupplies.

Currently I have Churchill’s nut brown ale fermenting (well it’s been a week and I think it’s done). Waiting for that first batch is difficult!

I also brewed my first 5 gallon batch a few days ago using the simply beer kit. Can’t wait to try them.

Cheers
I'm in a similar boat. I did a batch of someones apple wine on here the greater part of a decade ago. Time flies. Now this Mr. Beer kit. I just looked at it with a light a little bit ago and it's bubbling away in there so that's good! I have zero idea what my fermentation temps are looking like but I'm trying to keep my room temp between 68-72F, hoping that's good enough. The anticipation is killer though! Already thinking about getting more gear so I can get more batches of beer going. I have quite a bit of room for fermentors to sit around in here. I have a feeling this is going to get really expensive - lol.

I keep my fermenters in plastic containers filled with a small amount of water. I drape a shirt over them to absorb the water and lower the temp. Seems to be working well. We had the heater on durning this past cold front (75F) and the fermenters have remained around 70F.

Here’s a pic of my 5 gallon set up.

Attachments

• 7164882C-C791-43CC-B1CB-AF084E9A2F4A.jpeg
    7164882C-C791-43CC-B1CB-AF084E9A2F4A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
I keep my fermenters in plastic containers filled with a small amount of water. I drape a shirt over them to absorb the water and lower the temp. Seems to be working well. We had the heater on durning this past cold front (75F) and the fermenters have remained around 70F.

Here’s a pic of my 5 gallon set up.
Using the water as a sort of temperature buffer? That's not a bad idea. Looks like it would work. All I know is if I get another fermenter or 3, they've got to be amber or clear so I can take a look at what's going on in there.

Wow this thread is 10 years old and still rolling. That's truly amazing. Anyway I'm a bit confused and could use a little help. I got a Mr. Beer kit for Xmas this year. It came with the Oktoberfest Lager. I have done a fair amount of reading on these forums over the years and I know the difference between an Ale and a Lager. There are no specific instructions for this kit, no mention of lagering in the refrigerator or anything like that. All I have is the generic print out instructions that come with the equipment. What should I do? I have a room in my house that is sufficiently chilly if you guys think that would be a good idea.

It doesn't look like you've gotten a lot of responses. Mr. Beer is intended to be entry level and foolproof. They have not been good about different directions for different styles, and really rely on the extract and hops to make the recipes different. They used to send the same yeast for everything, but that might have changed. I don't know the current instructions, but I know from experience that you should let it go longer than they say. I would do at least 2 weeks fermentation, but maybe 3 is better. After you bottle, keep it warm (70) for 2 weeks at least, then 1 week in the fridge.

If it's a lager yeast, you will want it 50ish degrees (fridge is too cold for that) then after a couple of weeks (or longer) you could go in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

And by the way, even though sanitizing seems over the top, it's better than spending all that time making a beer and then having something preventable ruin it. You get used to it.

It doesn't look like you've gotten a lot of responses. Mr. Beer is intended to be entry level and foolproof. They have not been good about different directions for different styles, and really rely on the extract and hops to make the recipes different. They used to send the same yeast for everything, but that might have changed. I don't know the current instructions, but I know from experience that you should let it go longer than they say. I would do at least 2 weeks fermentation, but maybe 3 is better. After you bottle, keep it warm (70) for 2 weeks at least, then 1 week in the fridge.

If it's a lager yeast, you will want it 50ish degrees (fridge is too cold for that) then after a couple of weeks (or longer) you could go in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
I happened to find a more current instructions set for their brew. It seems that the instructions you receive are dependent on the tier of the set you buy. There are standard, deluxe, and craft kits. Since mine is the craft level ingredients kit it says to ferment for 3 weeks. So it looks like you're right on the money there. I checked it out last night and it was bubbling pretty vigorously in there, but I will say this. The little Mr. Beer yeast thermometer strip thing they supply with the kit is just about useless. It has 3 ranges of temperatures it registers and you're supposed to keep it in the middle. The middle one is supposed to be green with a checkmark if you're at optimal temp, but it's an off orange color with no checkmark. Whatever the heck that means lol. That just highlights the basic nature of the kit and the need for some things that aren't supplied with it.

I happened to find a more current instructions set for their brew. It seems that the instructions you receive are dependent on the tier of the set you buy. There are standard, deluxe, and craft kits. Since mine is the craft level ingredients kit it says to ferment for 3 weeks. So it looks like you're right on the money there. I checked it out last night and it was bubbling pretty vigorously in there, but I will say this. The little Mr. Beer yeast thermometer strip thing they supply with the kit is just about useless. It has 3 ranges of temperatures it registers and you're supposed to keep it in the middle. The middle one is supposed to be green with a checkmark if you're at optimal temp, but it's an off orange color with no checkmark. Whatever the heck that means lol. That just highlights the basic nature of the kit and the need for some things that aren't supplied with it.
I didn't get the kind of vigorous fermentation that I had expected with this beer. Should I pitch more yeast or just wait it out? It's been 5 days. I can see a small krausen ring formed at the top of the LBK, but I don't see much in the way of bubbles in the brew. I don't know if I accidently pitched the yeast too hot or if this is just normal. I've only fermented a boozey applewine before and that thing was violent comparatively.

Attachments

• IMAG3218.jpg
    IMAG3218.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG3219.jpg
    IMAG3219.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 82
If you have a hydrometer you could measure the specific gravity and see if it has lowered. Also, and I’m not sure this is 100% correct, but you may be able to swirl the yeast back into suspension. Or, you could taste it and see if it’s beer like in flavor (rather than really sweet). It’s very possible that primary fermentation is over. My 5 gallon batch seemed to be done within 4 days (based on the airlock).

That’s pretty normal. If it’s lower alcohol then it might not get as foamy.

Order a better stick on thermometer. :)

I'm a newbie, I wanna started my journey with mr.beer.

That's how I started out. You'll always own that little barrel, so if you graduate to bigger batches someday, you can always fall back on it for doing smaller runs and experiments. Do it! :yes: It's so inexpensive that it's the perfect way to get your feet wet.

You can boil your water in a pasta pot you most likely already own, and you'll get your first ingredients along with the fermenter barrel. After your first recipe, you can go right into making half-batches of kits at your local home brew store.

If you end up loving the hobby, we can help you find good deals on buckets and kettles and stuff. I think you'll find that the majority of home brewers you talk to brew 5-gallon batches. You'll meet some people who brew 1's and 10's, but most recipes at the brew stores are based on five. Mr. Beer holds 2.5 gallons. I have two Mr. Beers, two five gallon buckets, and three 5-gallon glass carboys. You accumulate this stuff over time. ;)

I just accidentally dropped the hop bag into the fermenter trying to dry hop an ipa, abv 6-7, has anyone ever done this without getting an infection?

While I am not new to drinking delicious beer (hehe), I am new to home brewing. I wanted to start small and get my "bearings" first, so indeed, I did purchase a Mr. Beer. I plan on doing at least a few batches while I learn the basics of fermentation and bottle conditioning. I know people will knock Mr. Beer kits, but I really see it as a jumping off point for me. My first batch (Diablo IPA) is fermenting right now, and I have a German wheat on tap that I'm going to tweak a bit, and try to get some orange flavor in there. Here goes nothing!

I started with Mr Beer it was a Christmas present from my brother. We now have a nice electric/propane brewing setup and get together and brew with friends almost every Sunday. Brewing is an AWESOME hobby that pays dividends. Only thing I would do different from Mr Beers instructions is I would boil the extract at least 15 minutes to kill any possible cooties. Then try either steeping some grain to add flavor or better yet do a partial mash. If you have a local home-brew store they will be glad to help you out with your brewing. Find some friends who share your interest in brewing and brew away. Brewing is more fun with friends and family it becomes a social event. Make beer while you drink beer you made it's like a perpetual win/win.

Welcome aboard Robo!
I, and many other brewers started with MrBeer. You can grow and change at your own pace, and the simplicity makes it easy to learn process. Even if you switch to extract or grain, you can use the LBK as a small fermenter. If they still suggest a one week ferment, or even two, I suggest leaving it for three weeks, or until it clears. The same with carbing, three weeks in the bottle. I read John Palmer's How to Brew my first year. You can read the first edition free online. Study and practice will yield great beer. Keep us posted.
Pr8, will boiling the HME change the hop profile? IIRC, there are hop bits in some of those cans which may be finishing hops.

Welcome aboard Robo!
I, and many other brewers started with MrBeer. You can grow and change at your own pace, and the simplicity makes it easy to learn process. Even if you switch to extract or grain, you can use the LBK as a small fermenter. If they still suggest a one week ferment, or even two, I suggest leaving it for three weeks, or until it clears. The same with carbing, three weeks in the bottle. I read John Palmer's How to Brew my first year. You can read the first edition free online. Study and practice will yield great beer. Keep us posted.
Pr8, will boiling the HME change the hop profile? IIRC, there are hop bits in some of those cans which may be finishing hops.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing how my first batch turns out. Thank you for the tips, I will definitely heed those. So in your opinion, after three weeks of carbing and I start to refrigerate, how long should I allow for bottle conditioning...2 weeks?

You're welcome. Three weeks in the fermenter, three weeks in the bottle at room temp, two days in the fridge should work well. The longer you chill the bottles the finer the carbonation will be, smaller bubbles and better head. Pour carefully to leave any sediment in the bottle. It's wonderful to pour a good beer that you made, good luck and brew on.

John,
I don't know if it hurts the hops I never thought about it. Many Mr Beer kits I've made had an off taste until I started boiling them. I'm sure that it probably does dink the aroma a bit. But I HATE cooties kill them all!!!

Well, I never was completely happy with MrBeer HMEs, so perhaps I should have boiled them too! :)
Truly, I just needed to learn the processes. I could probably do better with them now, but not as well as I do with more advanced brewing.
I too hate the bugs, I've had some bad runs with them.

Mr. Beer led me to extract brewing. I will blame it on my wife ... she tolerates my obsession and contributes to it (in multiple ways).
The natural progression was from extract brewing to partial mash, and from partial mash to all grain.

I also learned basic sanitation and simple water adjustment somewhere along the line. Plenty of mistakes and a few bad brews for one reason or another. Mr. Beer was a gift and the gateway for a hobby I was always curious about but never had the time or space for until I bought my house ... then it was off to the races.

Back