Bayou Classic 82 quart stock pot, is it a good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc77

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on upgrading my brew kettle to a 20 gallon kettle. I'm looking at Bayou Classic's 82 quart kettle (link below) and then using weldless fittings to add sight glass, a thermometer and a ball valve with a dip tube.

Does anyone have any experience using these? Is this a good pot to get or is there a better one to get the job done? I've been looking for a 20 gallon pot for a long time and now that the time is here to pull the trigger it makes me nervous that this might not get the job done.

The review said that about an inch up some of the pots developed holes and had to be returned or use jb weld on them. But those seemed to be on the 36 quart pots which...whatever. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXKJJ8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of the 15 gallons and I think they are great. Add brew hardware sight glasses/thermos, and ball valves with camlocks and you have a really nice setup.

You should state your purpose for this pot. I've no experience with this particular one, but do have a 9 gallon Bayou pot and a 10.5 gallon (44 quart) Bayou pot. My observations:

1. The 9 gallon Bayou pot has funny riveted handles that slightly leak. Not really a problem, but I always noticed a small wort line on the outside of the pot at the rivet locations when done with a boil.

2. The bottoms are not exceptionally thick. Thick bottom pots are more expensive, and should distribute heat better. Not a problem with electric brewing, and I never noticed any carmelization with either of my pots while using gas, but that's the theory, anyway. My own thoughts are that you are boiling too hard if carmelization is a problem, anyway. They are less expensive by not being thicker and having a thick, heat distributing bottom.

Check out the referenced thread, for sure, but I don't think you will be disappointed.

Back