Drinking past your limit....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towers

Reaction score
I've posted this on another, more general site and got confusing responses. So I figured I would post it here, to a more focused group.

This may only happen to me, but Im guessing it happens to everyone. If you've been drinking and you're near/over your personal limit.... every time you take another drink, you gag....

When I've hit/gone over my limit every single shot/drink I take I gag pretty hard. I never throw up, but there's this involuntary rejection of liquor that happens. The odd thing is that this doesn't happen with drinks that don't contain alcohol. If I drink water or juice I'm fine.. I can chug it like I was sober. But if you give me something with alcohol in it, I'l have a hard time getting it down.

So I ask..... is this a mental or a physical reaction? Is it the actual alcohol in the drink making me gag, or is it the knowledge of the presents of alcohol that makes me gag?

I have yet to do personal in depth tests with this.... cause let's face it, when you're drunk it's hard to be scientific... So I'm posting the question here... any ideas?

So I ask..... is this a mental or a physical reaction?

Mental. You can't separate mental from physical since the mind controls all of your muscular actions.

I don't know how old you are, but your tolerance for alcohol will likely increase with age (and prolonged use).

For now, I'd say when you reach that state, it's time to switch to water. That reflex is trying to tell you something important.

I totally don't do this, no gag no nothing. Everything goes down smoother! Everything!
I know when I've had enough, and I know when if I have one more the night will be lost to me. Sooooo I make a choice, maintain where I'm at and enjoy myself or have the one more to soon and be lost to it. But no gagging at all, ever

I get the gagging thing too, most of the time. I've always been weirded out that nobody else knew what I was talking about!

My reflex is more to set down my drink and lose it. There was one night my friends reminded me about in college where they told me I kept setting my drink down, then asking them where the heck it went. When they would pick it back up and hand it back to me I would hold it for a few minutes and set it back down again. Lather, rinse, repeat until I was able to drink more or done for the night. Kinda nice having the drink responsibly ghose stealing your drinks when you do not need more.

I've posted this on another, more general site and got confusing responses. So I figured I would post it here, to a more focused group.

This may only happen to me, but Im guessing it happens to everyone. If you've been drinking and you're near/over your personal limit.... every time you take another drink, you gag....

When I've hit/gone over my limit every single shot/drink I take I gag pretty hard. I never throw up, but there's this involuntary rejection of liquor that happens. The odd thing is that this doesn't happen with drinks that don't contain alcohol. If I drink water or juice I'm fine.. I can chug it like I was sober. But if you give me something with alcohol in it, I'l have a hard time getting it down.

So I ask..... is this a mental or a physical reaction? Is it the actual alcohol in the drink making me gag, or is it the knowledge of the presents of alcohol that makes me gag?

I have yet to do personal in depth tests with this.... cause let's face it, when you're drunk it's hard to be scientific... So I'm posting the question here... any ideas?

CRumsLk_zps22f15f5b.gif

You gotta hold your liquor like a man. Plain and simple.

Well there was one time when i had been mixing spirits and beer for Oktoberfest. I was served a tall Spaten Optimator and my friend said that after i took a long drink that i looked like I wanted to vomit...but I didn't have a hang over the next morning...

I only consider going over my limit if I have a hang over the next day, but you raise an interesting question

I've had it happen before, but if it does I'm most likely past the point of no return and will probably be throwing up shortly.

I haven't thrown up from drinking since my first year of collage. Not to say I haven't been piss ass uncontrollably belligerently and unpredictably drunk since then, 'cause I'd be lying if I said that :tank:. However, I haven't puked since then.

Its either and yet both. Its mental feedback from physical reactions of the body. The only time I have gagged/nearly threw up from drinking is New Years Eve. Had decent amount of beer to drink and a bit of hard stuff. Took a sip of Champagne.. Almost tossed up from that sip.. what a horrible sickly sweet drink..

I think it was the massive taste difference more than anything that did it.

I agree, got to be a mental thing. The more I drink, the more I drink... Nothing causes drinking problems like drinking.

I am fairly sure I have hit my limit many times, and never had that kind of reaction. I think the first time I took a swill and gaged, I would pour out what ever I was drinking and go to bed!

I usually go to bed first, then (while running to the bathroom) have the gag reflex :eek:

When I reach my limit, food is always on my mind. I have a somewhat entrepreneurial mind, and of course it is churning at this point. So 'million dollar ideas' are generated... Queue Office Space. Thus:

You know how as a kid you loved string cheese? Why has no one invented string meat? I'm not talking beer jerky, I'm talking string meat. Boom

My scenerios differ. If im at a bar, it seems like I get hit quicker... I can get to the point of not knowing where I am and making immature decisions (based on events in the past few years)

If I am at home or a local house party with friends, I can still down roughly a fifth of rum throughout the course of the night and be drunk, but in control of my actions...

Maybe that is why I hate going out to bars

I dont have the gag no have I thrown up from drinking. Always remember but have plenty of times drank enough that I was probbaly close to alcohol poising. ( Dont ever play a game where you take a shot every time some one gets an award at a 500 person amtgard event its doesn't end well) But the strange thing is I can drink and drink with out end while camping but at home one 2 drinks and Im good.

Back