Two Hearted Ale clone recipe opinions, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AiredAle

Reaction score
I found (copied and then lost the original source) what seems like a good AG clone recipe for Bell's Two Hearted Ale. The grain bill seems fine, but the hop boil times seem odd to me. Here are I hope, enough details to provide context for my question, do this hop addition schedule make sense?

Total boil 75 minutes, 8 gallon boil for 6 gallons hopped wort at 58 OG, all Centennial hops, target of about 45 IBUs total, based on 7.7 % AA hops.

Boil time Hop quantity IBUs
60 min 0.46 oz. 9.8
20 1.84 23.6
5 2.75 11.6
10 1.80 Aroma hops steep (10 minutes steep after knockout?)

Anyone follow this recipe? I am a bit baffled by the low amount of hops boiled for 60 minutes, and wonder why this is the case. If anyone reading this claims this recipe, I'd love to hear from you on why the large amount of late additions.

I don't know anything about that recipe, but the one I did before had a 60,45,30,15,0 addition of 1/2oz and then 1oz dry hop (all centennial of course). 7.7% seems a bit low for centennial, the ones I have are 10.6%

Beersmith calculated my IBUs out at about 50 for that one. I did it originally as an extract batch, but next time I'm going to go all grain and will probably try throwing in 1/2oz in the mash or in the first runnings.

My earlier attempts at this clone didn't match up to what I remembered two-hearted tasting like, but its been a year or so since I've had it. I'll have some at the end of october so I'll become familiar again with it.

Back