Do American's have an imature beer taste palate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trouble is not all craft beers are available everywhere.

This really bugs me. Im in upstate ny and we have a really nice beer scene going on but there are tons and tons of beers that are just not distributed here or even anywhere close to here. Id love to try more of the regional breweries of the mid west and north west but outside of the bigger names its just not available to me.

It's the nature of the game. The fact they brew them on smaller scales means they only get to reach a small audience by comparison.
They also tend to cost more so stores only stocks just so much of an unknown to them beer.

I sure do wish I had access to more of them though.
I'm sure the ideas for what I want to brew would change some if I were able to try some of the styles I've never had.

The biggest game around here is that even with breweries they do sell beer from,they only selct a couple they think will be popular. Rather than letting me decide for myself. Like the only yuingling we get around here is the lager & black-n-tan. Stuff like that annoys me.

Actually, considering this is a beer brewing community, that very point is irrelevant imo.

We all should have the know how based on this very forum to brew any beer desired. Maybe not the equipment, but the knowledge should be available here or on the web.

But the question is... if you don't know what all of the different beer types taste like, then how would one venture out and choose a different style to brew, or even know what to expect without being open minded enough about the varying styles?

http://www.howtobrew.com/images/f111.jpg

It's not about me being closed minded. They sell what they think I'll like rather than letting me decide. Descriptions of beers I can't get on line help,but can't replace taste & smell. So it's not a question of relavance,but availability. And if we could brew every beer imaginable,just like the original,what the hell would we need them for? You'd have to duplicate every single mind numbing thing to do with any given beer to truly nail it. THAT sir,is irrelevant.

Yuenling is a very popular beer in my area. You can get it at any bar that serves a BMC. But, you still have to look for the Porter. Don't even dry to find Lord Chesterfield. Yuenling Light is all over the place. Then again, you're not missing much. I should warn you that Yuenling can be a harsh mistress the morning after.

I've had the 2 available around here. But I'm curious about the other offerings. Mainly used it as an example of what marketing is like around here. Take Sierra Nevada. The pale ale,torpedo,celebration comes in around here. But not at the same time. The barleywine when it's ready. Forget pliny. But we do get a couple of stone offerings. Stuff like that.

Actually, considering this is a beer brewing community, that very point is irrelevant imo.

We all should have the know how based on this very forum to brew any beer desired. Maybe not the equipment, but the knowledge should be available here or on the web.

But the question is... if you don't know what all of the different beer types taste like, then how would one venture out and choose a different style to brew, or even know what to expect without being open minded enough about the varying styles?

Nope, can't be done, cause us ignat mericans have a immature palate.

Put the shovel down. :eek:

Rick

how about just brew it, and decide if you like it when it comes out of the bottle?

Where were these guys from?

Rick

Austrailia. They had to find out for themselves I guess. Many thought I was completely off my nut wasting 6oz of hops on one beer. It would be terribly bitter,etc,etc. Now a few of them know better. @ryno And not knowing what every style tastes like doesn't make anyone close minded. I've been drinkin beer longer than many of you have been alive. I'd just have to go back & have a taste of a certain style to get it back in my head again. So lets not Ass-u-me anything...

Austrailia. They had to find out for themselves I guess. Many thought I was completely off my nut wasting 6oz of hops on one beer. It would be terribly bitter,etc,etc. Now a few of them know better.

Very cool, did they bring you some Vegemite? :D

Rick

Austrailia. They had to find out for themselves I guess. Many thought I was completely off my nut wasting 6oz of hops on one beer. It would be terribly bitter,etc,etc. Now a few of them know better. @ryno And not knowing what every style tastes like doesn't make anyone close minded. I've been drinkin beer longer than many of you have been alive. I'd just have to go back & have a taste of a certain style to get it back in my head again. So lets not Ass-u-me anything...

so, not only are you a trouble maker, you're and OLD trouble maker.

dayum glad to know you.

me, too
;)

Nah,not an old trouble maker. Just DC,Downright Cantankerous. :D I just got the impression that I was being described as being narrow minded. Hell,if we could brew everything accurate to the original,we'd all have more money for brewing I should think...
Anyway,I do brew what strikes my fancy,& try to brew it to style with a twist or two. Glad someone around here appreciates my stylings...

Hmmm.... might be me three. Of course it depends on what the meaning of old is. :cross:

Rick

whatever the meaning of old is, i'm probably there.

i work with people younger than my own kids, and i'm fondly referred to as that old fart.

if he's "cantankerous" then i'm probably there with him, too.

basically, i'm too old and crabby to give a crap about the small stuff.

and, for the other old farts in here, just remember this

we are already where those youngsters are trying to get.

cool isn't it

:)

Nah,I think they're just "'avin a piss" as the Brits would say.

Errrr,,,,,,, that would be the act of urinating:D

I think you mean "takin' the piss" meaning "having a laugh, making fun of each other" as in having a verbal joust with some colourful/playful banter.:mug::mug:

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. Just like how I occasionally pick a different beer to buy.

But, bear in mind the general context of the question implied the typical BMC drinker, who likely isn't home brewing.

Errrr,,,,,,, that would be the act of urinating:D

I think you mean "takin' the piss" meaning "having a laugh, making fun of each other" as in having a verbal joust with some colourful/playful banter.:mug::mug:

Not necessarily. Dunno about England but, in some areas of Australia, beer is referred to as "piss" in slang. So, "avin' a piss" could refer to drinking a beer.

Not necessarily. Dunno about England but, in some areas of Australia, beer is referred to as "piss" in slang. So, "avin' a piss" could refer to drinking a beer.

Close, but no biscuit:fro:

The standard phrase for drinking/having a few brews would be "(goin' out) on the piss". I suppose it's possible some Aussies might say, "having a bottle/pint/schooner of piss" but none of my mates from Oz do.

Supposedly it (on the piss) originates from an old custom of the Viking Berserkers.

The old men of the village would eat psyllocybin-ous mushrooms, then their urine/piss would be bottled. The warriors would open the bottles and drink the second generation filtered 'shroom piss before getting into a battle and going off their heads violent, or, "Berserk".:rockin::rockin:

unionrdr said:
Gordon Ramsey is Scottish,& he says it that way. In his usage,it seems to mean F'in with somebody,jivin,etc.

You sure he wasn't saying "are you 'avin me on?" or " You're 'avin' a laugh, aintcha?"??

Gordon Ramsay's name is certainly Scottish, but he sounds more like a Londoner, or southeastern-er, to me.

There is no supposing about it. Been there more than once, heard it first hand more than once. But, maybe...wasn't intended to be exact semantics, hence the "could". Since I was pissed up a good bit of the time some of it's foggy. The best parts were when they assumed the Aussie heavy beer was going to take this Yank out of the game. Heh...boy were they wrong.

There is no supposing about it. Been there more than once, heard it first hand more than once.

So would that be "''avin' a piss" or "'avin' a (few) bottle(s)/pint(s)/schooner(s) of piss" being the phrase used for drinking beer, or any alcohol for that matter?

Not doubting your experience, just that I have quite a few relatives in Oz and a bunch of mates here from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth and have never heard any of them using "Having a piss" meaning to be "drinking beer".

"Having some piss" might well be used, but more to the point, "having a piss-up" is a pretty common term used for a drinking session.:mug::mug:

As far as craft beer is concerned, America is the place to be. It is a hotbed of inventiveness. America brews more styles of beer than anywhere else in the world. I would argue that America has some of the most sophisticated beer taste that exists. Say what you want about the 'common folk' drinking their budweiser..it's the same anywhere else in the world.

Hehehe...of course you are or you wouldn't be pressing the point. :p

Oh, OK then. Just a little:fro:

We Brits get a bit protective of our colloquialisms;)

Having said that, I've never been to Oz so there's every possibility that I'm wrong.:mug::mug:

And anyway, I'm just 'avin' a laugh and takin' the piss:D;)

I didn't get much time to spend in the big cities. Most of my time was spent in the more outlying agricultural areas both East and West.

I am just wondering if, in general, do most Americans have unexperienced beer palates? We are so accustomed to Buds, Coors and Miller Lites that anytime we drink a European beer or IPA with a full body, the initial taste reaction is unexpected.

Does an American need to learn how to drink world wide beers with unique taste profiles?

We can buy a wide variety of beer in the US. We've more imports and more domestics than any one of us, hell, any 10 of us, can name. The grocery store here sells beer made in USA, Germany, Australia, Canada, England, Mexico and several other countries. That's just the grocery store. The same one that sells toilet paper.

Even sticking to domestics only, we've a myriad of styles to choose from. Check out the offerings of Shiner, Rahr and Sons, Saint Arnolds, Real Ale and Abita. And that's not even the start of a list. That's just naming a few.

Then you figure the range of home brew supplies available. The books. The internet.

We Americans are awash in beer. I wouldn't be surprised if the next time it rained, it came down in bottles and cans, and no two alike.

Back