Coolest stir plate on HBT.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzkramer

Reaction score
Here it is, a Warlock stir plate.

The switch and pot came right out of the guitar.
6v DC power cord.
Apple iMAC fan.
The black cover is a cut up DVD case.

Enjoy!

338732_10151176885243645_1538630669_o.jpg

Now if you could only alter gravity so you could hang it on the wall while your stir plate was in use.

Not sure I can condone the act of cutting the neck of a guitar to build a stir plate, but it does make a rather striking brew toy.

By the way, you're not allowed within 50 yards of my music room.

Mabe I'll use my old Playstation to build a stirplate. Never even thought of it before seeing the Nintendo above, great tidea.

The NES is a great idea. I have two in the house, and one is totally shot. Maybe I'll make one for an extra.

For the NES stir plate, don't blow in the sanitized flask this time; it would yield the opposite effect.

I left my stir plate plugged in, but not running. The 5v power source burnt out so I'm gonna give one of the radio shack variable DC power supplies a shot.

The fan is 3-wire 12v DC. Any idea why it would have burnt out?

I left my stir plate plugged in, but not running. The 5v power source burnt out so I'm gonna give one of the radio shack variable DC power supplies a shot.

The fan is 3-wire 12v DC. Any idea why it would have burnt out?

For most common appliances, if you want to turn it off and leave it plugged in ( say for a coffee maker) you put a SPST switch on the hot leg from the wall to the motor. That would stop power from flowing to the device and eliminate the likelyhood of burnout. How have you wired your stir plate? Do you have a pot as a speed control? If you turn it "all the way down" to stop the rotation, even at minimum speed (max resistance) there is still power flowing, which could vcreate trhe effect you describe. You could either install a separate switch to turn the stir plate off or install a pot with a built-in SPST switch (the one that clicks at max resistance) to accomplish the same thing.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll take another look at the wiring and make some adjustments.

Well, I thought I was being original until my girlfriend directed me to this thread.

Reset button is 'pulse' function, 25 ohm pot on the back in one of the extra holes. Original NES D/C power jack retained, but I'm using a 12V source.

ViewImage.aspx

Back