Group Brewday Fouls.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
This story goes all the way back to Sept 16th when a coworker who also brews comes over for a brewday. This is the 3rd time we have brewed together and the previous times everything was cool. However this time he forgot to bring a carboy to take home his share of the 10gals being brewed. So I fill up one of mine and let him take it.

Fast forward to today when I get my carboy back... Dirty with still some wort in it and hop residue and what not on the sides. So it sat dirty for 10 days before I got it back.

This is a homebrew foul/felony. It goes without saying he is banned from brewing with me for awhile.

Rule #1 of brewing gear: If you borrow something, take better care of it than you do your own stuff. In fact, take better care of it than the owner does.

People that give me bottles back don't know about brewing items, like rinsing well after pouring a beer to save hours of work cleaning bottles. But brewers DO, and I have higher standards for them.

Your brewbuddy should be ashamed.

amended: whenever you borrow ANY tool, you return it in better condition than you were given it. I don't care if it's a hammer, you best clean that isht first.

The moldy foul smelling evidence.
20120926_184938.jpg

20120926_185154.jpg

I say you add 10oz of water to the carboy and swirl it all around...
Then bottle the collection and serve it to him!

Tell him owns that one now, and you're expecting a new one from him.
Beer guys know not to let beer equipment mold.
Wow.
Send him a link to this thread. :)

I went on a group trip last week and supplied the bottles. 2 of the 8 guys were craft brew guys and the rest for BMC. The 2 craft beer guys really rinsed and cleaned my beer bottles and returned them to the cooler for re-use. The other 6 guys? Chuck back a bottle in the cooler with 1/2 inch of beer left in the bottom, chuck a few in the trash, leave a few outside, etc.

You'd think people that brew would have some more concern, it's a shame you got screwed by the coworker.

He handed it to me as he was leaving work and I didn't notice it was dirty till he was gone. I plan on having a few words with him tomorrow.

He handed it to me as he was leaving work and I didn't notice it was dirty till he was gone. I plan on having a few words with him tomorrow.

That's one of those things that doesn't really sink in until you think about it for a while.

He strikes again. I said hey if you want me to make the starter for your half of our lager brew day bring me your flask.

I had to quarantine it in the garage. The airlock is not salvageable and black mold all over the flask. I'm glad I have done all the brewing since I have met him. Now that I think about that maybe why his gear is dirty and moldy.

Wow, you'd think he would have at least cleaned it. I say make his starter in at is and pitch it in his half of the beer!

He's just using wild yeast.

The condition of his flask actually holds up to a prior rule of thumb, though: take better care of someone else's equipment than you do your own. For him a light rinse is better care. Kyle

At that point I'd have handed it back to him and said " are you kidding me? Get that **** outa here and bring it back clean. I'm not your F@(kin dishwasher". He knows damn well you'll have to clean it first, and obviously doesn't care. That's total BS. People like that will continue that crap as long as you let em.

And that is why I do not like to borrow stuff. If it breaks I fix it because that is just the way I am.

I got a brother in law that way. I will give him some beer and he will throw the bottles away. No respect for the amount of work that goes into brewing

Back