Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ck1950

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is a great forum and I have learned so much over the past six months, but now I believe I have a infection on my Grand Cru. I have attached a picture, what is everyones thoughts? Thanks for everyones help!

20120913_095601.jpg

LOL, you guys are jerks. Seriously though, the filmy layer on top would worry me. Also, can you take better macro pictures of those grayish blobs floating in there.

i think it's tofu and moss. pineapple and broccoli was a ridiculous suggestion, this is a serious forum, have some respect

Quit screwing with the guy, it's pineapple and broccoli. He is going to get worried if he thinks he has moss in there.

For the OP. Can you tell us what the big 'bits' are? The rest looks OK.

seriously, what did you put in that fermentor?
a Grand Cru beer has some citrus rind in it. that pic doesn't look like rinds. If they are rinds it could be mold from them floating.
It looks nothing like a Grand Cru wine must.

so again, what did you put in that fermentor.

Did you taste it? If it tasted like miso you made the wrong kit. :facepalm:

Mold A simple case of mold.
Cure: Mold can usually be just skimmed off with no lasting effect on the beer's flavor. Withdraw a sample of the wort with a siphon or turkey baster and taste it. If it tastes foul then its not worth keeping. Otherwise the beer was probably not harmed. Infections in beer caused by molds are not dangerous. Be meticulous in your sanitation and you should not have any problems. John Palmer

Did you taste it? If it tasted like miso you made the wrong kit. :facepalm:

Mold A simple case of mold.
Cure: Mold can usually be just skimmed off with no lasting effect on the beer's flavor. Withdraw a sample of the wort with a siphon or turkey baster and taste it. If it tastes foul then its not worth keeping. Otherwise the beer was probably not harmed. Infections in beer caused by molds are not dangerous. Be meticulous in your sanitation and you should not have any problems. John Palmer

Probably the best serious advice in this thread so far ;)

But really though I am wondering what those cube-ish looking chunks are, I've never seen yeast clumps form quite that shape!

Back