Simcoe IIPA Fermentation Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebluewaffle

Reaction score
Hey guys I brewed up an all simcoe iipa the other day and tried a new technique.
I put my carboy in the bathtub in water at 61 degrees for 4 days. Gravity went from 1074 to 1020 using WLP 007.

I noticed the bubbles coming to a stop so I pulled the carboy out and put in a closet around 68 degrees and swirled it.

Today I noticed the fermentation starting up again which is what I want.

I know the first 3 or 4 days are crucial for cool temps for ales and the rest isn't as important.

My question is, what can I expect from this sudden increase in fermentation temperature?

That is pretty much what you have to do with WLP007. It works fast but seems to quit too early if the temp doesn't warm up after a few days. I think you will be fine.

You might not get the best attenuation or you might get some fermentation byproducts but mostly should be fine.

You already have 73% apparent attenuation. You will probably get a little more fermentation, but not a whole lot more. I usually expect around 75% but up to 80% with SO4.

And, just to put it out there again, bubbles are not necessarily indicative of active fermentation. When you raise temps you are releasing CO2 that is dissolved in the beer because CO2 is less soluble at higher temps.

And, as you mentioned, only the first few days are crucial for fermentation temps. After that, within reason, higher temps are fine and often (as others have said) preferable. 68 will do no harm. You should not notice any off-flavors related to an increase in ambient temp to 68.

You already have 73% apparent attenuation. You will probably get a little more fermentation, but not a whole lot more. I usually expect around 75% but up to 80% with SO4.

And, just to put it out there again, bubbles are not necessarily indicative of active fermentation. When you raise temps you are releasing CO2 that is dissolved in the beer because CO2 is less soluble at higher temps.

And, as you mentioned, only the first few days are crucial for fermentation temps. After that, within reason, higher temps are fine and often (as others have said) preferable. 68 will do no harm. You should not notice any off-flavors related to an increase in ambient temp to 68.

I mostly agree with this...
73% ADF is not enough for a IIPA. 80% + is the norm. Also this beer is boarderline IPA/IIPA.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp007.html

Says optimal range is 65°-70°F - you should be good! Usually you won't get off-flavors until you get into the 75°+ range. I'd expect a nice clean yeast profile from your temps.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp007.html

Says optimal range is 65°-70°F - you should be good! Usually you won't get off-flavors until you get into the 75°+ range. I'd expect a nice clean yeast profile from your temps.

not exactly true

Yeast does tend to get a bit estery when the temps are not held steady. I like to ferment at 68* for one week then maybe (if i'm going for a super dry beer) bump it up to 70*. After two weeks i slowly lower the temps by 2 degrees a day over the third week, then cool to 45*, carbonate and serve.

What you describe is s.o.p. for Tasty McDole. If I was concerned, it would only be with really rapid temp change. I might let the bath water rise to 64-65 over a day then pull it out and let it rise to 68-70.

I tend to ferment 65-68 depending on the ale, so for me switching to the closet is only a 2-4 degree change. I love the finishing & clean-up power of the warm-up.

Latest posts

Back