deadspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhound28

Reaction score
Hello
I think i just calculated my MT dead space...I took the advice of someone on this forum and filled my MT then drained it...i was left with 1/2 gallon of water..thats my dead space right? If so i am gonna enter that into my beersmith equipment profile..

I'm not real sure about Beersmith, I use Promash, but it factors all the vessels dead space in, MLT HLT BK CFC's hoses etc. I'm sure beersmith is similar

Yup. You got it. The only place I have found in BeerSmith for dead space is for the MT. If there is a place to calculate HLT, BK, etc. I have yet to find it.

However, in the water tab, be sure to calculate your post-boil loss to evap, deadspace, trub, hoses, etc. This greatly effects your pre-boil volume as well as what you plan on putting in the fermenter.

wSelwyn said:
Yup. You got it. The only place I have found in BeerSmith for dead space is for the MT. If there is a place to calculate HLT, BK, etc. I have yet to find it.

However, in the water tab, be sure to calculate your post-boil loss to evap, deadspace, trub, hoses, etc. This greatly effects your pre-boil volume as well as what you plan on putting in the fermenter.

For the BK I entered mine in the section of the equipment profile labeled "loss to trub and chiller" as advised by the beer smith video.

Back