Water quality vs. Walmart vended water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzarkPA

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should bother using RO water from Walmart @ .37 / gallon or just use my tap water - the info sheet is attached. We use chlorine here, but the alkalinity is a little high and the water hard - 127 avg alkalinity and avg total hardness 137. This will be for a specialty grain batch / Pliny the Elder clone.

water2.jpg

water1.jpg

Its decent tap water. None of the ions are too high for general brewing use. The alkalinity is slightly high, but that's easy to correct with acid. Download Bru'n Water to learn more about how to deal with your water and what corrections you might consider for your brewing water.

If I want to just make an easy adjustment can I mix the RO with my tap water? I dont know what would be optimal - but I was thinking about 2/3 RO 1/3 tap based on my water report above

Dilution works too. Again, Bru'n Water gives Brewers the tool to assess what varying the dilution percentage will do for their mashing performance.

OzarkPA said:
OK - playing with the sheet now. Should this still work for a Specialty grains brew?

I mean to say enter sparge as 0 gallons and mash as 5.0 (final volume)

Latest posts

Back