Mixing from 100 proof to 43 proof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACrisp1982

Reaction score
1 - 750 ml jar grain alcohol @ 100 proof
500 ml liquid #1
500 ml liquid #2
1/4 cup Sugar

Equals
43 proof

Could someone of mixing knowledge verify my math?

I wouldnt want to mess up my recipe.

What does the sugar have to do with it?

Is it because it affects the molality of the solution?
I must be missing something there.

I thought proof was 2x ABV. So 750/1750 * 2.

86 proof.

Your math is good - in simplified form. I'm not sure how much of a volume increase you'd see from the sugar, but on a small level that would play in as well.

But 43 sounds right.

This is a homebrewing forum, not a distilling forum.

ibtl.png

Your math is good - in simplified form. I'm not sure how much of a volume increase you'd see from the sugar, but on a small level that would play in as well.

But 43 sounds right.

Well my original mix is for apple pie grain alcohol, Long story...

1 - 750 ml jar grain alcohol @ 100 proof
500 ml Apple Cider
500 ml Apple Juice
1/4 cup Sugar
4 sticks cinnamon

Equals
43 proof apple pie.

schweaty said:
You do realize that distilling at home is illegal and not condoned here.

Actually, I've been meaning to ask somebody about that. We are an online community with many international members. I know distilling is illegal in the US, but sharing information on any topic isn't illegal - especially when many members on the forum are in locations where distilling is legal.

On this board, we discuss politics, guns, sports... None of which are remotely related to brewing. Why the big hush on distilling when discussing distilling is 100% legal?

On this board, we discuss politics, guns, sports... None of which are remotely related to brewing. Why the big hush on distilling when discussing distilling is 100% legal?

I frequently go over to a friends house for beers and sports, and in his house, politics is not discussed (he and his wife don't see eye to eye on many political topics). It is his house, and I follow his rules.

This "house" is owned by Tx. He said no distilling talk, so we play by his rules.

For the record, I don't really see this as distilling talk, but I am not a moderator, so it is not my call.

I frequently go over to a friends house for beers and sports, and in his house, politics is not discussed (he and his wife don't see eye to eye on many political topics). It is his house, and I follow his rules.

This "house" is owned by Tx. He said no distilling talk, so we play by his rules.

For the record, I don't really see this as distilling talk, but I am not a moderator, so it is not my call.

I'm not a distiller and really don't care about it, so I'm not hard-pressed to follow the rule. I just HATE arbitrary rules for anything. There seems to be no logic behind this rule. As I'm sure there is some logic (god I hope so), I just am looking for an explanation.

I can follow the rule without problems. I just want to know why it's there. And for the record, I didn't see the OP question as a distilling question either. If you start with alcohol already and you're just mixing, it ain't distilling.

He's talking about moonshine and mixing it. Last time I checked moonshine was produced illegally.

Well untaxed moonshining is illegal, however there is this company out of Gatlinburg, TN that is producing it legally. Here is their website www.olesmokymoonshine.com/

I purchase some of their product and was testing a recipe. Turned out pretty darn good.

Back