looking for advice on doing some experimentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
I will be brewing an American Pale ale tomorrow and then in two weeks want to brew the exact same brew but try some variations.

I was thinking about dry hopping the second brew?

Any suggestions on different things I could try??

The brew recipe is: 8lbs ultralight LME
1.5 lbs crystal 15L
8oz honey malt
1oz magnum hops at 60 min
2 oz Wilamette hops ate 5 min
2oz Cascade gops at 0 min

Thanks in advance for ideas!!!

ethangray19 said:
I will be brewing an American Pale ale tomorrow and then in two weeks want to brew the exact same brew but try some variations.

I was thinking about dry hopping the second brew?

Any suggestions on different things I could try??

The brew recipe is: 8lbs ultralight LME
1.5 lbs crystal 15L
8oz honey malt
1oz magnum hops at 60 min
2 oz Wilamette hops ate 5 min
2oz Cascade gops at 0 min

Thanks in advance for ideas!!!

Sounds good to me. Not sure what Cascade gops are, but I'm sure they will be delicious...Just kidding. Cranking in some hops at the end of the boild works really well for me. This is not really, "dry hopping" technically, but it is safer, easier and gives a great hop aroma effect in my beers. Maybe we should call this "moist hopping">?

So on the first try at this beer i will do it as the recipe calls, and will "moist hop"

but, any ideas on what/how i can experiment with it the second time?

You could change the hop type. Try Chinook hops for bittering and Columbus or Centenial hops for finishing. Columbus is a very good tasting hop.You might substitute the Crystal 10 for a higher kilned variety like 40L or a combo of 40 and 60. An addition of Victory malt would change the flavor as well.
Go Bristish style with the same Magnums for bittering but finish up with Kent Goldings. That is a good combo combined with Victory and Special B malts.

Back