Enough time for a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
I've yet to make a starter for any of my brews, but I've got a tube of WLP004 that's been in the fridge for a few months and I wanna brew up some Ode To Arthur. It seems like my best opportunity to brew is going to now be Friday night. If I make a starter tonight, it's better than nothing right? Is that going to be enough time for yeast to develop to pitch tomorrow night?

I wanna make use of this 4L flask I got recently too..:ban:

Making a starter tonight and pitching tomorrow is better than just pitching the tube straight tomorrow.

Don't worry if you don't get too much activity, the initial part will be waking up the yeast and then multiplying. You will have healthier yeast and much more of it if you start them out tonight.

I agree with calder; something is better than nothing. Pitch the whole starter if needed, instead of decanting.

As you all have confirmed, I figured a young starter is much better than no starter at all. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get it done last night! I'll be making a starter this afternoon and now looks like I'll have time to brew on Sunday.

My WLP004 says "Use By: May 30th 2010", this sucker should still get rolling with a starter right?

I used a pack from April a couple weeks ago, and that thing took off like crazy.

Definitely make a starter with it though, since it's so old.

I did a stout two weeks ago and did the starter 24 hours before pitching. It was very active from the start and lasted several days.

I did a 48 hour starter with 8 month old lager yeast that I had harvested for a porter and it was very active and turned out well.

So much for being concerned about not having enough time for my starter to get going...It's 1 week later and I've yet to brew my batch of stout!! Things got hectic, but I'll be brewing on Saturday. Oh well, at least I've got a nice cake in there now!

Back