so what beer rags do you read?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
I've read byo, zymergy, beer advo, taps. What other beer mags are out there? What do you guys commonly read? What's your fav?

I don't think any of them are all that great in the long run. I mean, how much is there to say, really. I get Zymurgy and occasionally pick up BYO, but after awhile the articles all seem to be the same. How many times can you read about dry-hopping techniques? For non-brewing magazines I'll occasionally pick up Draft if it looks like it might have some interesting associated non-beer content. There's one on my desk right now from summer that I picked up because it also had some articles and recipes about Texas BBQ. You might check that one out. I believe it's a bi-monthly.

I knew there was one I was missing! I've picked up draft before. Usually I just pick up the one that have the best beers of the year or the ones that have some thing about special beer or big beers

There's also a magazine called Beer. It only has a little about homebrewing, and some other articles that are beer related, and then others that are not (How to get better at Pinball?). My wife bought it for me, but it's not bad.

I've been a member of the BeerAdvocate website for years since my hobby was beer drinking long before it was beer brewing. A great wealth of information is on that site with reviews and style information. I also always consult BA's "BeerFly" section before traveling so I know where I can pickup some great beer locally.

I subscribed to their mag when it came out and when it comes to all things beer, I don't think it can be beat. There's usually at least one homebrewing article, but it's mainly news about craft beers, breweries and beer-friendly travel destinations. Oh, and there's usually a recipe for something delicious cooked with beer.

I somehow got a free subscription to Draft a while back (think it's expired, haven't seen a new one in a while). It's kinda pretty to look at, but I wouldn't buy it; not a lot of very good information. Talking about the hop shortage as a "news" item nine or ten months after it started.

All About Beer is an excellent magazine that doesn't get much play around here, for some reason. It has some of the best writing and diverse topics you can find between two covers.

TL

I get BYO and Beer Advocate and I'm always grabbing copies of the Ale Street News and Yankee Brew News at my LHBS and local bars.

There's also a magazine called Beer. It only has a little about homebrewing, and some other articles that are beer related, and then others that are not (How to get better at Pinball?). My wife bought it for me, but it's not bad.

a buddy of mine sent me the free additional subscription last year when beer mag was just getting started. it's content is usually hit and miss, but the cover models have all been pretty spot on for me....

a few months back i renewed for another year (or two maybe?). i think it'll do okay for a while, and i'll probably keep reading it until they start doubling back on topics.

I liked that italian chick a few months ago in the Peroni vs Moretti showdown. She was smokin'.

The chick on the cover of the last one about motorsports and beer was absolutely horrible though. She's what we refer to around here as a "slump buster".

Let me see if I can find her for ya.

OK their website is out of date and does not yet show the hot italian chick I was talking about but here's one to make up for it somewhat.

beer-mag-2-2-225x300.jpg

I recently subscribed to BYO and the first mag I got seemed good, but I agree that after awhile it may seem to be the same thing. I don't know if I'll renew after my year runs up since its not a cheap subscription obviously.

I have a BYO subscription, and also get Zymurgy. Have a pile of old Brewing Techniques, The New Brewer and some other trade mags. Brewing Techniques was/is my fave, I hate that it went away... :(

Back