read if you use MR BEER kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theBrewman12

Reaction score
hey, guys im new to this forum heres what ive noticed... all you guys are brewing with mr beers... and doing a 1 week primary and 1 wwek in bottle and drink... i mena cmon fork up some money and get a good set up... you can get a decent setup for 150 if you dont have to ship it... with a 6.5 glass carboy (primary fermenter - leave beer in here for 7-10 days) , 5 gallon glass carboy (secondary fermentation - leave in for 12-14 days) , 5 gallon bottling bucket w/ spigot, auto siphone, how to brew booklet, sanitizer, capper , etc.

all youll need else is bottles (save and clean your old bud light glass ottles you use from now on) and caps (ike 2 bucks for 100...) main thing here is... im sure the mr beer brew kit makes fine beer... but you can make much better and try more recipes with the 1,2,3 set up... 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and 3 weeks in a bottle... but seriosuly my quesiton is DOES ANYONE HERE NOT HAVE A MR BEER?

Not everyone here is using Mr. Beer. I myself use a 7 gallon fermenter. Usually ferment here for one week and then transfer to bottles. After two weeks I usually break into a few as my anticipation is to great. I plan to purchase a glass carboy (unless I get one for Xmas) and start using a second fermentation.

Keep in mind that everyone starts somewhere. Some people start with Mr. Beer and probably move on to very sophisticated setups while others may always be content with their simple Mr. Beer kits. The important part is that everone is enjoying the process and the results of brewing a homemade beer. However, I do agree that creating your own recipees is far more fun than using someone elses kit!

i use mr beer only because i have only brewing for a few weeks and did not do any researce tosee if there were any "better" kits. i just walked in to ACE hardwere to get some quck cheap tools to finish a job and BAM .. there it was big box MR. Beer i was like damn make your own beer wow gota have that! i find some fourms and find out there are better ways to make beer and even find a brew shop near my house (homebrew supply) that i did not even know about. so now im saving up to buy a good kit that the brew shop has. sodude dont be a ass.

I've been using a Mr. Beer for the last year which has been a lot of fun. Now I know enough from reading and understanding the process to be a toxic avenger and am going to get a larger system. But nothing wrong with the Mr. Beer setup as an entry level to get more interested in it or maybe that is all someone needs or wants. Even though I'm going to get a larger 2 stage rig, I'll still use the Mr. Beer once in a while I'm sure. It isn't always about the biggest toys, sometimes it is just about the pleasure you get.

trekv2 said:
i use mr beer only because i have only brewing for a few weeks and did not do any researce tosee if there were any "better" kits. i just walked in to ACE hardwere to get some quck cheap tools to finish a job and BAM .. there it was big box MR. Beer i was like damn make your own beer wow gota have that! i find some fourms and find out there are better ways to make beer and even find a brew shop near my house (homebrew supply) that i did not even know about. so now im saving up to buy a good kit that the brew shop has. sodude dont be a ass.

hey, no im sorry man... i wasnt trying to be an ass... i know i prolly came off as one... but im not i was just tryingto help some people learn that 1 week in primary, 2 in secondaruy, and 3 more in bottles usually makes it taste much better... and if anypone only has that Mr beer kit you can still do a secondary...just trasnfer the beer to a bucketwith a siphon and then rins the primary (football shaped thing) re transfer back withthe siphon and leave for two weeks then bottle.. but guys i wasnt trying to be an ass... im sorry

i started out in 1995 with a Mr. Beer. Now that was homebrew. yuk! yeasty cardboard pasty. bad memories. My old college room mate came to visit me and after he was pretty smashed i fed it to him. he didnt even notice. that was the last time i used it. i went out and bought a couple glass carboys and a bucket. You wont believe the difference. after a couple years i went to all-grain and that was another great step. Now i make ales that are as good as or better than most brewerys.

The problems with a Mr. Beer is:
1.) the yeast it sits on. You gotta get the beer off the yeast.

2.) they say to drink the beer after just 2 weeks!. No way. Beer needs to age at least 2 weeks from the time you bottle it and i say 2 months. I can tell you how big of a difference this makes.

3.) one week fermentation just isnt long enough. Just because the beer isnt actively fermenting any more doesnt mee that the process has stopped. 2 weeks in the secondary allow the yeast to re-absorb the by products they produce during fermentation. This is part of the aging process and it cannot be hurried.

So can good beer be made with a Mr. Beer? Not by following the manufactureres directions. If you rack off the beer after 7-10 days, clean & sterolize the Mr. Beer, then put the beer back in for another 2 weeks. Bottle and let sit 1 month. yes. then maybe. But be sure not to shake up the beer when moving it around. That will oxygenate the beer and make it taste like cardboard. be as gentle as possible. Oh yeah, get a decent ingredients kit. maybe from northernbrewer.com.

I used my Mr. beer for awhile as a mini keg. the seal eventually leaked and i tossed it. but the seals are made beter now on the new ones.

Black Dog

well i ditched the mr beer kit and got a true brewkit with mountmellik brown ale malt exract so hopefully it will be better

theBrewman12 said:
5 gallon bottling bucket w/ spigot,

I personally don't use the bottleing bucket approch, i bottle straight from my secondary fermenter. I personally don't understand the bottling bucket, it just is an added variable that can contaminate the beer.

tipsymonkey said:
I personally don't use the bottleing bucket approch, i bottle straight from my secondary fermenter. I personally don't understand the bottling bucket, it just is an added variable that can contaminate the beer.

i think the biggest thing with a bottling bucket is convenience. You get your beer off the yeast cake. When stirrig in the priming sugar it would be difficult not to stir that up. as long as everything is sanitized properly you wont have any problems.

ya most people do one or the other. I personally usually do the opposit. I use a bottling bucket but not a secondary, (of course with the exception of beers that require a longer aging process) I do all my fermenting in a primary, then rack to a bottling bucket that has the priming sugar solution in it, gently stir and bottle.

original poster, what is your point? before you give brewing advice, get some education on brewing and fermenting and then ask a 9 year old to help you with your grammar. and yes, you came of as an ass. no offense.

Hey man, if you're going to bash on something, at least use good grammar.

I think we all know that getting better equipment has better potential for making good beer, but there's nothing wrong with Mr. Beer. It's a good, easy, and cheap introduction to the hobby. Better to spend $40 on a kit like that then realize you don't want to brew than to drop $100+ on much bulkier equipment that will just end up sitting around collecting dust.

Plus, the Mr. Beer keg kicks ass for bottling tiny batches.

Nice! Uhhhh, nevermind then OP.

theBrewman12
29 years old

STATISTICS

Total Posts: 3
Last Activity 12-19-2004

He hasn't been on this site in 5.5 years. I doubt he'll take your criticism very seriously. :D

This is what happens when people do a search and some six year old thread catches their fancy. The forum should automatically lock any thread that hasn't had posts in 2+ years.

This is what happens when people do a search and some six year old thread catches their fancy. The forum should automatically lock any thread that hasn't had posts in 2+ years.
I don’t know, I kind of disagree. Sometimes some helpful information can come out of reviving an old thread (after all, the same questions get asked over and over). Clearly not in this case, but I have had that happen for me. And ya….sorry, it was me that revived this thread lol, I have a bad habit of not checking the post dates because I rarely respond to a thread of this nature, so the posts usually still offer me good advice when people post back.

hey, guys im new to this forum heres what ive noticed... all you guys are brewing with mr beers... and doing a 1 week primary and 1 wwek in bottle and drink... i mena cmon fork up some money and get a good set up... you can get a decent setup for 150 if you dont have to ship it... with a 6.5 glass carboy (primary fermenter - leave beer in here for 7-10 days) , 5 gallon glass carboy (secondary fermentation - leave in for 12-14 days) , 5 gallon bottling bucket w/ spigot, auto siphone, how to brew booklet, sanitizer, capper , etc.

all youll need else is bottles (save and clean your old bud light glass ottles you use from now on) and caps (ike 2 bucks for 100...) main thing here is... im sure the mr beer brew kit makes fine beer... but you can make much better and try more recipes with the 1,2,3 set up... 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and 3 weeks in a bottle... but seriosuly my quesiton is DOES ANYONE HERE NOT HAVE A MR BEER?
you must not have read through very many threads.

Even more interesting is that the second poster last posted in 2005, but shows activity on the forum as late as 2009.

Don't the bud light bottles come in a screw off ? im not sure because i dont drink it, but if you are re-capping bottles my suggestion is sierra nevada. Bottles are super easy to get the labels off and have a good shape. sam adams is another one that is easy to clean labels off.

Don't the bud light bottles come in a screw off ? im not sure because i dont drink it, but if you are re-capping bottles my suggestion is sierra nevada. Bottles are super easy to get the labels off and have a good shape. sam adams is another one that is easy to clean labels off.

Did you notice the date on that post? Or the post right before yours? Lol no biggie though I think everyone does it once or thrice. But to answer your question yes bud light bottles are screw tops.

Does anyone here not have spell check? The same thing can be said for your grammar. Mr Beer is an awesome introduction to bigger and better brewing and regardless of what you think of it, we all owe a lot to them for the success of this hobby.

I'm really glad you posted this though, it makes it easier to figure out who the idiots are after 3 posts instead of several.

edit: Oh nevermind, looks like his equipment has been sitting on a shelf for a while now.

Does anyone here not have spell check? The same thing can be said for your grammar. Mr Beer is an awesome introduction to bigger and better brewing and regardless of what you think of it, we all owe a lot to them for the success of this hobby.

I'm really glad you posted this though, it makes it easier to figure out who the idiots are after 3 posts instead of several.

edit: Oh nevermind, looks like his equipment has been sitting on a shelf for a while now.

Not sure if spell check existed back in 2004 when this thread started.

This is one of the funniest serious threads I've read in a while :D

Did you notice the date on that post? Or the post right before yours? Lol no biggie though I think everyone does it once or thrice. But to answer your question yes bud light bottles are screw tops.

I know that I never read or post tipsy. NEVER. :drunk:

On an unrelated note, I want to see this thread die down and get resurrected again in a few years. The zombie thread can't die

omg this has to be some kind of record. over ten years and this troll is still running strong lol :fro:

Ummmm folks...the reason it's not dead is because you have stab it in the brain DUH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back