Belgian Pale ale looks horrible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin22

Reaction score
Brewed a belgian pale ale. Its been in the primary for about 1 1/2 weeks. Opened it up because im a noob. It does not look to good. In fact it looks like ****. Is this going to change?

For all intents and purposes fermentation is an aberration of nature to observe.

Don't sweat what you just saw. Take it out of your mind entirely. Close that lid and don't consider opening it again for another 1.5-2.5 weeks. Then, and only then, do you open it to take a specific gravity sample. Two days after that, take another. Two days after that, take another. If after those six days you have the same reading you may then bottle. ;)

:mug:

Geoff

Brewed a belgian pale ale. Its been in the primary for about 1 1/2 weeks. Opened it up because im a noob. It does not look to good. In fact it looks like ****. Is this going to change?

Well man, I would leave it in there for 4 weeks total, cold crash (if you can) then keg/bottle. Beer really doesnt look like beer till its carbed up and your drinking it. I just racked 2 beers to kegs today and one had all sorts of krausen **** on top of it that was from me moving to my counter to rack (settled after 45 minutes of letting it sit). Just give it time and have a brew mang. It should be all good.

:mug:

Yes, it's perfectly normal. It wont look pretty or taste pretty at this point. I think it's good learning experience to taste the beer at different stages. It wont hurt you, but it will taste pretty bad.

Back