how do you force carb a sanke keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevkev5

Reaction score
i filled up a 1/6 sanke and hooked it up at a friends bar. been in fridge on co2 at 8-10 lbs going on 5 days now. still is flat. what am i doing wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong at all...just takes more time at serving pressure. I would guess around two weeks at 10 -12 psi.

Some force carb at 25 psi for a few days then reduce to 10 -12 psi for serving.

Some shake the keg for a few minutes at 25 psi to speed up the process.

At this point I would not use the shake method because you probably already have sediment on the bottom of the keg.

If you are impatient, crank up the pressure for a little while (maybe overnight) and then reduce to serving pressure and sample.

Sanke or corny, carbing is carbing no matter the vessel.

Also realize that the beer carbs faster when chilled, so if the brew went into the keezer at room temp, it probably took a day or two to chill.

Be patient! It will happen! Do realize that your beer deserves some time conditioning an will be better served with a bit of a wait.

a forum search turned up many posts...happy reading.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=2996217

question about this i got one of those Sanke kegs today and it doesnt have any input for gas or a purge or anything like that so for carbonating my beer do i just take out the spear fill it up and put the tap on and pump some pressure into it for a few days? will that give me carbonation? im new to the whole kegging thing now so any answeres will help me out thx

@Hartzelly: You should have a coupling head to go with your keg otherwise you won't be getting anything out of it! :D

On your coupling head you have gas in and beer out ports. Maybe do a search on HBT for filling a sanke but basically once you have the coupling head everything is pretty much the same as a corny but you don't have the removable lid to simplify things.

There will be more questions for sure but you definitely need to check into a coupling head before you move on.

question about this i got one of those Sanke kegs today and it doesnt have any input for gas or a purge or anything like that so for carbonating my beer do i just take out the spear fill it up and put the tap on and pump some pressure into it for a few days? will that give me carbonation? im new to the whole kegging thing now so any answeres will help me out thx

Tell me you're not talking about a hand pump? That would just be pumping oxygen into your beer. Not good. Save that for the BMC parties if you must use one.

revived my 2 year old thread haha nice. i guess we should all update our old threads with our results/current processes, otherwise the search feature is worthless.

original thread results:
it took almost 2 weeks to carbonate at pressure that low.

here is my current process now that i have a kegerator:

i take out the spear, siphon in, put spear back in. hook up to co2 and crank it up to 25-30lbs for a few days, purge most of the air using the little ring on the side of the keg coupler, turn co2 back down to around 10 lbs. few more days (week if i can wait) and it is ready to drink.

puckhead your inbox is full so i will post it here:

i haven’t taken the spear apart. i figured it would be a pain in the ass to try to put it back together so i leave it alone. i just soak the whole spear in oxyclean for usually at least a day, then rinse it well and soak it in starsan. that always works for me at least. however if you took it apart and it is still pretty dirty inside i may have to take it apart as well and take a closer look. as for now, those wall paper plastic tubs work good for it but mine broke a while back so i basically just use a bucket and put the head of the spear down for a while. then i eventually put the spear back in loose in the keg filled up soaking with the same cleaner or sanitizer.

also just realized when cleaning the keg lines using the kegs with oxyclean then starsan that would also be cleaning the internal part of the spear. -kevin

Back