When has bubbling stopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacmil

Reaction score
I brewed my 2nd batch of beer Xmas day (an American amber ale from a Brewer's Best kit). It was bubbling rapidly the next day. After 4 days, the bubbles are appearing at a rate of about one every 33-38 seconds. Is that slow enough to say that bubbling has stopped and I should check the S.G. now or should I wait another day or so?

I didn't time the bubbles in my first batch, just checked the S.G. after it appeared to have stopped. It was high so I gave it 2 or 3 more days. It was an India Pale Ale and turned out great, btw. Not sure if it was luck or to be expected from following the directions.

Welcome to the forum!

Bubbling isn't really a sign of fermentation, or lack of fermentation. Even after the bubbling has slowed or even stopped, fermentation may still be happening. And, after fermentation is basically finished, the yeast is still working a bit, cleaning up their own waste products.

I like to wait at least a week or 10 days before checking the gravity. Even you are using a secondary fermenter for clearing, you can rack it after you've reached the final gravity. If you're not, I'd suggest waiting a couple of weeks before bottling. The beer will be clearer with less sediment in the bottles in the end.

Welcome to the obsession!

Back