how do YOU drink a bomber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Or any other large format bottle?

I like picking up bombers instead of a sixer bc there's been a lot of times when I've bought a six pack only to find I don't like the beer and I'm stuck with 4 or 5 more.

My problem with bombers is.....IT'S A LOT OF BEER!....and I also like to drink out of the correct glass whenever I can. Thing is... I don't have that big of glasses (for certain styles).

So while this is probubly a dumb question it's still something I've thought of more than once....thus justifying a post :D

I tend to split with a friend. I may be a not so rich college student, but when it comes to beer, I tend to be generous with my stash. Plus, a bit of company can make a good beer that much more enjoyable, and when people drink my homebrew, getting compliments is never a bad thing.

Well I can totally agree with all that (I graduate in 45 days :D ) but 99.99% of the time its just me drinking....SWMBO will take a sip but still the rest is ALL for me.

I need some beer friends...:(

I look at a bomber as two beers and will drink it only when I plan on having two. I'll pour as much as possible into the appropriate glass (if available) and pour the rest when that glass is empty.

A lot depends on the type of beer as well, stouts or other low carbonated beers I could recap and drink the next day.

Oops, that was a typo. I actually recap the bomber with one of those 'snap' type wine bottle caps. They're cheap and it's easier than busting out the old wing capper.

Flyin' Lion said:
Oops, that was a typo. I actually recap the bomber with one of those 'snap' type wine bottle caps. They're cheap and it's easier than busting out the old wing capper.

Me too. I bought those specifically for 22 oz. beers. Have you had one launch off into your face yet? :mad:

Flyin' Lion said:
I look at a bomber as two beers and will drink it only when I plan on having two. I'll pour as much as possible into the appropriate glass (if available) and pour the rest when that glass is empty.

This is exactly how I do it. No recapping for me. I pour the first glass, drink that, then go back for that last half to three quarters of a glass. :mug:

I pour two glasses also. No re-capping here! I pour two 10 oz glasses of beer, leaving the last oz or two in the bottle if it's bottle conditioned. If not, I get a few more sips as a bonus!

Way too much work! Just get a bigger glass. One pour, one trip, no capping. One better tip, pick up at least a 25 oz in case it's a belgian. :drunk:

My problem with bombers is.....IT'S A LOT OF BEER!....

What the hell is wrong with you? I buy bombers by the sixpack! I dont want to waste valuable time opeing smaller beers!

Damn some people

edit: hell I dont want to waste time spelling correctly

Where did you find good beer in Corpus?!? I lived there since 94, well untill I joined the Air Force. Most people there all think that either BMC is "good" beer....

Wait, you think a 22 is "too much beer"?
shocked-smiley-9444.gif

i have a one liter mug, but that leaves too much headspace...hmm...

if i use a 22 ounce and a 12 ounce, it would be a perfect liter! i know what i'm doing tonight :D

nitrousjunkie said:
Where did you find good beer in Corpus?!? I lived there since 94, well untill I joined the Air Force. Most people there all think that either BMC is "good" beer....

The Liquid Town on Airline is pretty decent....the beers I'm talking about thought I brought back from San Diego from our Spring Break trip....

Evan! said:
Wait, you think a 22 is "too much beer"?
shocked-smiley-9444.gif

Sometimes....:D

When I get an Arrogant Bastard or Ruination, I just drink straight from the bottle....and for some reason, I drink 2-3 bombers instead of 2-3 beers and I wonder why I'm drunk sometimes ;)

MikeFlynn74 said:
**** im just getting started at that point!

well yeah, I didn't want everyone to know that I drink wayyyyyyy tooooooo much now :)

There are some beers where 22 ounces IS too much. Imperial IPAs, I love - but I don't want 22 freakin' ounces of it (usually). Barleywines? That's just too much beer. It just doesn't make sense to me. You never see something like an English Bitter in a bomber! It seems like all the "sipping" beers I'd like to try are in the big bottle, and all the session beers come in standard six-packs.

It seems like a lot of the biggest beers only come in bombers, which is annoying. I've taken to having "Thursday Night Beer Nights" here in the office with a few colleagues, which is great for sampling big bottles of big beers (with friends who really DO appreciate good beer).

I wasn't being serious. I was just trying to make me laugh.

I did:rockin:

edit: I seriously don't think the beer in my avatar is any good either, but the flower's pretty.

22 if not bottle conditioned i usually drink out of the bottle. i'm still a low class lout though... :)

if it's bottle conditioned, i pour it in a pint glass, and top it off halfway through.

What i like to do with larger bottles of beer is to put them in a brown paper bag and drink them on the stoop...

You really get a better feel of the smooth blend of pale malt and mild hops in Colt45 when drank out of a brown paper bag too...

I hate 22 oz bottles, when you set the bottle down after the original pour the yeast gets back into suspension and your three weeks of letting it clear are wasted. I am currently working on replacing my entire bottle stash with these 500 ml bottles:
Schneider_Weizenhell_L.jpg

they are perfect, not too big not too small, nestled in the goldylocks zone
-ander

Melana said:
I usually share all bombers with my better half... especially when i am trying to get him druck!

I love that quality in a woman :D SWMBO does that to me all the time!

Like Bird mentioned, my favorite way to handle bombers is my splitting a bunch of them with a group. If you have four or five guys together, everyone can have 4 or 5 ounces of beer, and then you open the next one. It's a great way to go through a bunch of different beers without wearing out your palate or waking up two blocks away on the front lawn in a tu-tu.

TL

You're right Bird! Why is that? Why are the "sipping" beers in 22ozers and session beers in 6packs?

I'd like to share with other folks....I just don't know anyone else that would want to you know?

And it does suck about bottle conditioned beers anderj...and thats kinda my main point. I'd love to bottle in bombers so it goes faster but then I've got to deal with it being bottle conditioned....

I've been enjoying 32 oz. bottles of Tecate and Carte Blanca. I have some promotional bottle openers from Germany that open the bottle and then reseal it. This is what they look like. Most folks give them away at trade shows and such, but I have not seen any here in the States.

Flaschenoeffner.jpg

I'm going to have to call some friends in Deutschland to round up a few more of these as they do a good job of sealing the bottle.

One of the reasons those big beers come in bombers, rather than smaller bottles in four or six packs, is cost. They are expensive enough, as it is, and packaging in smaller bottles will just make them moreso. Just find someone to split with, or tighten your chinstrap and buckle up. :)

TL

Melana said:
I usually share all bombers with my better half... especially when i am trying to get him druck!

Better half? That's not in the looks department. It takes a few 22's to get me there.

:cross:

I have a nice large 25oz hefe glass if I don't want the sediment brought back into suspension. If I don't want to drink it all, I find something else to drink (12oz Bridgeport IPA.)

I'll save the bomber of barley wine for Friday night.

Latest posts

Back