Gold or Pale LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking into making an ESB from extract that calls for 6lbs of "Gold liquid malt extract". My LHBS only has "Pale liquid Male extract" in stock. Are gold and pale considered the same thing when it comes to LME?

One last thing: Is there a conversion chart floating around that shows how to convert from LME weight to DME weight and vice versa? Thanks for the help with this.

There's about a 20% difference between LME and DME because of the water; use 20% more LME than DME, or 20% less DME than LME, and you'll be close enough.

In general, buy the lightest extract and get your color from speciality grains. For an ESB, a pound or so of Crystal 80L would be nice.

I've never heard of Gold LME.

Where is the recipe from and what is it.

ESB can range from Light to dark, so dependant if your are after a certain style, I wouldn't worry about it. Go for the pale and use steeping grains for colour if required.

Muntons makes an Extra light, light, amber, and dark DMEs.

Briess makes a Pilsner light, golden light, amber, and dark DMEs.

When I worked at the LHBS, we sold both brands, and substituted the Muntons light with Briess golden light.

steve

I've always thought the extra light or light was made from regular 2-row or lager malt, while the "pale" or "golden" came from pale ale malt.

skou said:
Muntons makes an Extra light, light, amber, and dark DMEs.

Briess makes a Pilsner light, golden light, amber, and dark DMEs.

When I worked at the LHBS, we sold both brands, and substituted the Muntons light with Briess golden light.

steve

That's exactly right. Briess Golden Light = Muntons Light, and Briess Pilsner Light = Muntons Extra Light. We had to convert the Euro darkness rating, ERB I think, to SRM to make the determination.

Because of the impending price increase, we are buying DME in bulk to cover the majority of next year. As it turns out, Briess is much cheaper than Muntons, especially in bulk.

Gedvondur

Back