Dry hopping in keg effects on beer clarity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
I dry hopped my IPA using a stainless tea ball in a keg.Beer tastes amazing but is not as clear as my beers usually are after 4 weeks of fermentation.Will this eventually clear up or is this a result of dry hopping in a keg?This is my first attempt at the afforementioned procedure.

With pellets it usually takes a few days for my beer to clear. I usually use leaf and don't have the clarity issue.

You are using pellets? I've gone to leaf for dryhopping after bottling a few IPAs and having some pellet mess at the bottom of my bottling bucket.

Relax, it'll clear up. I had a red IPA that I had 3 oz dry hop in a bag. It took a month to clear but it is amazing.

Oh yeah, and all this crap about off flavors and grassiness from dry hopping to long......I have not experienced it at all.

Often, heavily dry hopped beers will never clear, or will clear a lot slower. This is normal, and as wildwest says, to style. Don't worry about it.

My last IPA i dry hopped with an once whole and pellet wrapped in some SS mesh, that beer cleared unbelievably well. But the yeast was a really good floccer.

Just make sure if you use any clarifiers in keg do it before dry hop. I dry hopped APA with 1 oz and after removed bag from keg I used gelatin to clear beer faster. Well it did really good job in clarifying but I have ZERO aroma from hops now :mad: Good, fresh flavor but gelatin stripped almost all aroma :(

Back