Lager procedure - pls check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
My normal procedure for lagers has been : ferment, d-rest, rack to secondary (while at room temp), lager, gelatine, keg.
Can I do this instead :
ferment, d-rest, cold crash (to lager temp), gelatine, rack to secondary and then lager with possibly more gelatine before kegging ?

Im hoping the cold crash before racking to secondary and the extra gelatine will make a clearer beer.

I do something similar to you new procedure except I secondary in the keg.

ferment, d-rest, cold crash (to lager temp), gelatin, rack to keg, lager in keg for 4-8 weeks, force carb.

I like transferring only once. I think it decreases my chances oxygenation and/or infection..

IMO, you don't really need gelatin in lagers if you let them lager for a decent amount of time. They come out crystal clear without it.

FWIW, I ferment until it's a couple points shy of FG (determined by a FFT), rack to corny keg and let it naturally carbonate (at slightly elevated lager ferment temps), then do a closed corny-to-corny transfer and let it lager in the serving keg.

IMO, you don't really need gelatin in lagers if you let them lager for a decent amount of time. They come out crystal clear without it.

Agreed. Plus I think it's good to allow the yeast to settle gradually during lagering. The longer they stay in suspension, the more they might clean up the beer... that's theoretical of course.

Also, I prefer to rack to secondary at primary fermentation temps or colder. This helps preserve as much CO2 in solution as possible, which is good to have during lagering.

Back