Strange stuff on top of secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Halter

Reaction score
So as I was racking from my secondary into my Bottling bucket, I noticed a layer of stuff on top of my brew in the secondary. What really freaked me out was when I first noticed it it looked GREEN! Then i realized that it was probably just the flourescent tube lighting. I guess I would descirbe it as A Film that was about 1/2" thick that was definte. It was a cloudy kind of, Milky looking, Kind of layered but had Dips in it as well????

Any one ever seen this B4?? It was LME with Munich and crystal Malt recipe. The yeasy was dry Nottingham. I've always used the same yeast on all my brews. The only thing that i did different this time was I used irish moss in the last 15 min. of boil. I am thinking that it may be yeast. I read somewhere that when yeast is finished eating that some of the yeast actually dies or has some kind of a end product? Does anyone know what he hell I am talking about here?

Tried the beer after bottling/ Tasted Awesome...

I'd be surprised if you have hops in the secondary! (Unless you put them there)
A Krausen may well form in Secondary.

If it tastes fine then nothing to worry about.

Just look forward to the finished product. :mug:

Back