Heads up hop heads - Mosaic (HBC 369) at freshops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get all upset on me. We're easily sidetracked. BTW, I got an airlock that stopped bubbling after 3 days. Should I bottle it? :D jk.

We got a while before finished product. I noticed everyone is dry hopping. Anyone interested in a dry hop vs hop burst swap? I'm brewing with mosaic this weekend. Probably 5 weeks away from being ready. I live in Mass.

i'm really curious about mosaic and would love to try it... but at $29.60 a pound the price is scaring me.

if i were to get 5 oz, the amount i typically use in a SMaSH, it's $9.25 + $6.30 shipping = $15.55. dat sh*t cray.

Tasting my first sips from the fermenter right now and the Fresh Hops description is dead on with this "earthy, grassy, herbal, citrus, cedar, tropical, spice and stone fruit notes adding to the pine-based pungency"

This hop is crazy complex and Mosaic is a perfectly suited name.

People calling it Simcoe without the cattiness are off... there is some cattiness to it. But not over powering and not at all bad.

The cedar note really stands out too...and I like it more than I would have guessed.

I pick up a lot of fruit...stone and tropical.

It is spicy, woody and fruity. A great IPA hop. Really complex. I can't imagine blending it with another. Although it is short on citrus, so I guess if you felt the need to add some citrus notes with one Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial and or a touch of Citra (I'd not go overboard against the Mosaic tho).

Here is my recipe. Tasted a FG sample at 1.016 and dry hopped with 1 oz Mosaic.

Cheers!

13.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.10 %
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.50 lb Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.50 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 44.0 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.30 %] (20 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.30 %] (15 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.30 %] (1 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 2000 ml]

Just ordered a lb of this to try out. I like the sounds of it! Debating on making this an IPA or Mosaic/Centennial Blonde Ale...or both. Probably both. :)

That does sound good. Reading your post, before I saw the recipe you used, I said.. "Man, I'm thinking Chinook to bitter, Mosaic to flavor and aroma, maybe a flame out addition of Amarillo or Cascade, and dry hop it with Mosaic and Amarillo/Citra if it needed more citrus.

I just dry hopped a double IPA with 1.5 ozs each of Mosaic and Simcoe. I will post some results in a few weeks. I like the aroma of the hop as a put it in the fermenter.

I have a little over a case of Mosiac IPA carbing up right now - 10 [long] days to go. I dry hopped it at almost an ounce per gallon. The samples have been very promising - tropical fruit (pineapple maybe?) and citrus. Been trying to hold my tongue until the beer is fully carbed and conditioned.

I took a gravity reading after 4 days in the fermentor of the IPA I used Mosaic in, it smelled and tasted great, definitely right on the description as joetothemoe said. If you're looking for something new and complex this is a great choice.

10# 2 Row
12 oz Carapils
8 oz Melanoidin
8 oz Dextrose
.75 oz Columbus (60)
3.5 oz Mosaic (5)
.5 oz Columbus (5)
3.5 oz Mosaic (0)
1.5 oz Mosaic (DH 14 days)
.75 oz Citra or Amarillo (haven't decided yet) (DH 14 days)
1.5 oz Mosaic (DH 19 days)
.75 oz Citra or Amarillo (DH 19 days)

s-04
OG 1.062
gravity 4 days later was 1.018
will probably get to around 1.014 or 1.012 after another week
I think the IBU's were around 70 (my notes are at home)
I'm definitely looking forward to the beer though I think it will be really good, I hope to find more of these hops around, I bought leaf from freshops.com and my LHBS just got some pellets in.

I just got mine ordered. Anybody consider bittering with Summit, late addition of Mosaic? I have an arseload of Summit that I need to use.

I am going experiment the Summit/Mosaic combo. Summit has a stong Garlic aroma and I have been told that late additions give it a more pronounced scent. I may use Summit at 30min to try and get the tangerine flavors out of it. Going off of what others claim about Mosaic being more earthy/piney than fruity. I have used Summit with Citra and produced some great results. Really excited, wishing I expedited shipping!

Summit can have a stong Garlic aroma

:off: not all summit hops have a garlic aroma, it's not part of their intrinsic makeup. that smell is usually associated with hops that were picked too late. either summits are very sensitive to harvesting times, or growers have gotten better at picking them on time. the summits i've used didn't have an ounce of garlic to them, and they contributed an intense citrus flavor with just a touch of spice. just a heads-up in case you get a properly-harvest summit and are disappointed at the lack of garlic (although you might be the first, since it's much more typical to hear of someone who was hoping for citrus and was disappointed by the garlic)

Trying to come up with a recipe to try these mosaic hops I have inbound. Having never used these hops, not real sure what to expect.

11lbs 2-row
1lb caramel
0.5lbs carapils
0.75oz 60min
1oz 20min
2oz 5min
1oz flameout
1oz dryhop

Looking to go all Mosaic, or have all of the "C" hops and could mix it up in the early additions? Really want to finish with Mosaic though to see what it's all about.

Thoughts/pointers?

Trying to come up with a recipe to try these mosaic hops I have inbound. Having never used these hops, not real sure what to expect.

11lbs 2-row
1lb caramel
0.75oz 60min
1oz 20min
2oz 5min
1oz flameout
1oz dryhop

Looking to go all Mosaic, or have all of the "C" hops and could mix it up in the early additions? Really want to finish with Mosaic though to see what it's all about.

Thoughts/pointers?

My all Mosaic IPA just finished up. I stole the grain bill from Kern River Citra DIPA. Mosaic worked extremely will with that grist. The aromatics on Mosaic are right up there with Citra and Simcoe. This hop is gonna get very popular I think. I plan on brewing the same recipe ASAP as I know this batch is gonna be gone way too quick.

I think your recipe looks pretty good - but I would try and replace the Mosaic at 60 with something else. Move it to dry hop if you can.

Centennial at 60?

Mosiac would certainly work - I just think you will really like the flavor with some additional dry hop on it.

I hate to even see Centennial burned at 60 haha. Of course that would be fine. I always keep a supply of Magnum around for bittering - it helps save the tastier hops for late additions and dry hopping.

You're gonna love the Mosaic, sir. I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts when it finishes.

Lol I hear you on saving the tastier hops. Just looked and I have a bunch of chinook, cascade, columbus for bittering and could save the centennial....

11lbs 2-row
1lb caramel
0.5lbs carapils
0.75oz 60min
1oz 20min
2oz 5min
1oz flameout
1oz dryhop

Thoughts/pointers?

A pound of caramel/crystal is about 8% of the grist which is a lot, you may want to back that down to under 5%. Centennial is a good 60 minute addition, but if you have magnum or warrior or columbus, any will work well.

A pound of caramel/crystal is about 8% of the grist which is a lot, you may want to back that down to under 5%. Centennial is a good 60 minute addition, but if you have magnum or warrior or columbus, any will work well.
interesting. to me, 8% is about right and i wouldn't go higher than 10%... different strokes :mug:

+1 on the bittering options proposed. save the centennial & mosaic for late additions.

interesting. to me, 8% is about right and i wouldn't go higher than 10%... different strokes :mug:

especially when there is no other specialty malt in play.

I believe Northern Brewer's "Dead Ringer" kit uses a pound of C40 and it's not cloying at all. Quite delicious actually.

But yes, different strokes for sure!

Be careful using Mosaic when dry hopping. I recently brewed an all Chinook IPA and I dry hopped one five gallon batch with Chinook and the other I used Mosaic, five days each. The Mosaic version turned out way more vegetal and stemmy tasting than the chinook. Before I threw them in the carboys, I compared the aroma side by side with Chinook and again it smelled way more grassy and much less citrusy than Chinook. Not a very bright hop, but may fair well near the end of the boil where some of that raw hop flavor can evaporate.

Complete opposite experience here.

I used 3oz of Mosaic in the hopback and 4.5 ounces in the dry hop. I'm blown away at how good this hop is. Killer nose and complex flavor. More for me I guess:D

especially when there is no other specialty malt in play.

I believe Northern Brewer's "Dead Ringer" kit uses a pound of C40 and it's not cloying at all. Quite delicious actually.

But yes, different strokes for sure!

You nailed it. Dead ringer is one of my all time favorites and I basically was looking to use that clone and sub centennial (all DR has for hops) for mosaic to get a feel for the difference as I'm very familiar with DR.

You nailed it. Dead ringer is one of my all time favorites and I basically was looking to use that clone and sub cascade for mosaic to get a feel for the difference as I'm very familiar with DR.

DO IIITT!!

Mosaic is so tasty on it's own. Seriously cherishing every bottle of my all mosaic IPA right now. The nose on it is every bit as aromatic as Citra - and thats saying a lot in my book.

Wanted to play with recipes in beersmith and even with all of the add-ons, there is no info on Mosaic hops as a hop to add. Is my best bet just creating a hop based on the alpha/beta listed on the package? How accurate do you suppose this will end up being on the final IBU calculation within Beersmith?

Wanted to play with recipes in beersmith and even with all of the add-ons, there is no info on Mosaic hops as a hop to add. Is my best bet just creating a hop based on the alpha/beta listed on the package? How accurate do you suppose this will end up being on the final IBU calculation within Beersmith?

The AA's is all you need to make it calculate.

How's this lookin'? Yes I have crystal intentionally at 8.8% I'm good with it as long as it's under 10%.....unless someone tells me I'm flat out crazy to try this.
75-90 min boil
est. 6.5%abv with my efficiency
9.5 SRM
57 IBU
.931 bitterness ratio
Amt Name %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 43.7 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 43.7 %
9.6 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) 4.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) 4.0 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) 4.0 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 21.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min 18.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 16.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

If you like the Crystal, roll with it, but knock out the Carapils. No need for that with that much Crystal.

I'd mash very low with it as well to get it to dry out as much as possible though. Like 148-149*

Thanks. Good point on the carapils, will take that out.

No problem. The "crystal police" are always abound online, and while I've reeled back how much I use, I still like a fair bit of crystal in my bigger IPA's. I rarely go over 6% though.

Recipe sounds good though!

Goodwill is THE place for used FoodSavers/Seal-a-Meals

Unfortunately, there is NO place for cheap/reliable bags.

This is where I get mine.
Probably the best price on the web....nice flat rate shipping too.
Use these bags for everything.

Curious if anyone else has used these yet? I have 1/2lb in pellets coming. Any thoughts on pairings? The guy from farmhouse said they were stinking up his whole shop! I am starting my first ever 5 gallon batch (mini mash) when i receive my hops and will have these and some citra/amarillo/simcoe/falconers flight to play with. I ordered an IPA ingredient kit but am thinking about swapping hops. (I believe it was a magnum/cluster/FF hop pack) I want my first batch to be a good one!

i dry-hopped 6 gal of IPA with 5 oz of mosaic pellets bought from Farmhousebrewingsupply. smell was really nice but not overpowering - could have been because they were frozen. the pellets were really hard and dense as compared to every other frozen pellet i've used. they mostly sank when added to the carboy. some eventually floated to the surface, but well over half of the total hop matter stayed at the bottom, over the yeast cake. after a day i swirled the carboy to kick up the hops and ensure better contact with the beer.

beer was flavored with simcoe, cascade and just a touch of citra (bittered with columbus, not that it matters). i would have used mosaic in the boil but i hadn't received it yet. bottling on saturday.

I'm gonna wait to get some until I try a local breweries try with them.

Doing a Red Rye with ALL Mosaic in it, all the way through.

Sounds promising though.

I had these in Russian River's Happy Hops. Tremendous beer. I am making a blondeish ale with Mosaics I got from freshops (in conjunction with a little Columbus) to try and get a taste for it again. Excitement level is high.

i'm really curious about mosaic and would love to try it... but at $29.60 a pound the price is scaring me.

if i were to get 5 oz, the amount i typically use in a SMaSH, it's $9.25 + $6.30 shipping = $15.55. dat sh*t cray.

a lot of these patented hops are quite expensive, so what i'm doing is a bunch of single hop, single gallon IPAs. 1oz is enough for a .75gal batch at 50 IBU + dry hops. it does require quite a few pots, burners and former apple juice jugs, but it makes for a lot of fun and variety.

Picked up an ounce of Mosaic today at Rebel. Thinking of just doing a normal one gallon SMaSH with it, maybe a little carapils also.

Even more excited to try Pacific Jade (NZ) though.

OK. Final verdict on this thing is...

Loads of Melon and Berries. My IPA tastes like a Snapple IPA.

I was getting a lot more complexity in the fermenter. But after 6 weeks from grain to glass, the melonberry fruitiness is taking charge.

I may chill on these hops until summer and brew some lighter fare with them. Or possibly pair them with a more aggressive hop to get some complexity.

But yeah... Snapple Kiwi-Mellon-Berry IPA is my overall impression.

Latest posts

Back