beer serving temp???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Ok I have my cooler up and running and have new gasket material on its way. I am wondering what is the best average temp to serve beer at? I have several different kinds so I need a catch all.

I like the maltier beers at warmer temps and the more hoppy beers on the lower end of serving guides. My general guide is the darker the beer the warmer I like it.

Definitely depends on the beer! If you were going to be serving both light and darker beers, then I would settle on something around 45 degrees. Cool enough for the lighter beers, but not cold enough that it will ruin the darker beers (they will warm quicker)

Pales, wheat, cream/blonde, belgian pale = 40 to 45 degrees.
dark lagers, strong lagers, abbey dubbel, real ale = 45 to 55 degrees.

Cask Conditioned IPA's I like nice and room temp.

I guess there's no "standard" that I'm familiar with unless you're doing a historical recreation?

Of course personal preference rains supreme overall.

well it seems to be a moot point....I thought I had the cooler fixed by a thorough cleaning of the coils...but it is having huge temp swings again.....running constant and was down to 19, then up to 43....I have a new door gasket coming as it is really bad but that shouldn't cause such huge swings. It MIGHT need recharged as it uses r134a .. if I knew a car system would fit it I would do it myself................I am about to throw it out the door.

42-44F here is where my keezer sits for all styles.

i can definitely notice a loss in flavor when i put bottles in the kitchen fridge. I usually nurse those beers til they warm up and release some aroma/flavor

It depends on your taste really. But if you can serve a beer warm and it still tastes good, you know you did something right, if you have to serve it cold for it to be drinkable then you might want to look at your recipe or your process etc. You never see BMC beer served warm and for a very good reason. ;) jmo...

I like my beer on the warmish side. I make a lot of estery ales. I serve my beer either directly from basement storage @~60F, or from my improvised ice-box @~50F.

English pale ales at 55 - 57F. Any colder, then they lose a lot of their character.
But I wouldn't like to drink a lager at that temperature.

-a.

well it seems to be a moot point....I thought I had the cooler fixed by a thorough cleaning of the coils...but it is having huge temp swings again.....running constant and was down to 19, then up to 43....I have a new door gasket coming as it is really bad but that shouldn't cause such huge swings. It MIGHT need recharged as it uses r134a .. if I knew a car system would fit it I would do it myself................I am about to throw it out the door.

I dug up your previous post about this problem (I remembered briefly seeing it and went back to find it) and posted some solutions. My apologies for not responding earlier. :mug:

Latest posts

Back